WHS Restore PC - Size problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My system crashed. I don't know why, but it would no longer boot (Sony Vaio VGN-NS20E). I thought this would be a good opportunity to test the WHS Home PC Restore! After downloading the latest version and creating a CD and setting my network back to DHCP I could not only see my Server but also my full system backup that I want to restore, great!

The problem is that it says:

Source Volume (from Backup): C: Vista Home Premium 223.29 GB

Destination Volume (this computer): C: New Volume 223.29 GB

i.e. they are exactly the same size, which is what I would expect, but I can't for the life of me get the red cross to change to a green tick to allow me to proceed. I have not changed the Hard Disk or anything else. I have reformatted the partion using all the default settings.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:07 AM

All replies

• Can you try running chkdsk /r on the partition?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 26, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

I have run chkdsk /r, as you suggested and it has reported that no problems were found.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Just to let you know that I found a way round the problem, albeit not satisfactory in view!

The laptop also had an EISA recovery partition, which I have now removed. This allowed me to make the New Volume larger than the 223.29 GB I decided to make it 223.30 GB, just to test the restore program and straight away the recovery worked. My laptop is now back up and running. But I do find this a little worrying because:

A) I should not have had to do this with a laptop that is; as is from the shop! i.e. no modifications, no changes to the disk or structures.

B) I didn't ever want to remove my recovery partition, although I have the recovery DVDs.

C) What would I have done if this fault occured and I didn't have another partitions to delete to make the Volume bigger?

Regards,

P.S. I wouldn't mark this as the answer, but I am back up and running.

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Was the recovery partition at the start of the disk or at the end? IIRC WHS requires that the restored partition be the first.
    qts
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi Quentin,

The recovery Partition was at the start of the disk. i.e. on the left in Disk Management followed by the New Volume.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:19 PM
  • With WHS restore are you limited to the exact size of the backed up hard disk or can you go smaller or larger?  thanks  ehill
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:33 PM
  • You can always go larger. In general, you can't go smaller.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:40 PM