Home server trial key RRS feed

• Question

• ok so i got the key a i cant find any were to input it click activate does nothing any ideas?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:13 AM

All replies

• ok so i got the key a i cant find any were to input it click activate does nothing any ideas?

You should be able to activate it from the WHS Console.  Is that where you're clicking Activate?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hello,
    i previosly installed WHS on a computer, and then obtained teh 120 day trial license.  I activated the system with this license.
    After some weeks i had to redo the whole system, but now do not know how to enter the trial license.
    Not sure if i wrote the license down wrongly, but I only have a 20 charackter license key, and the system asks for a 25 letter key.
    Does anyone know what i could be doing wrong?
    thank.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Once you activated a trial version, you cannot use the same key again for activation.
    Your only chance is trying to get another key on Connect.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Once you activated a trial version, you cannot use the same key again for activation.
    Your only chance is trying to get another key on Connect.
    Olaf
    Ok, thanks for that.
    There is somethig a bit strange though.  When i log onto the server (physically logging on), a message pops up at the bottom right, telling me that i have 25, 24, 23, etc. days left.
    But, when i log on via connector from a remote computer on my lan, and look in the settings/resources tab, it tells me that this is an evaluatin copy, and it will expire on 02/05/2010, i.e. more along the lines of the original 120 trial period.
    Any ideas why this disconnect?
    thanks.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Ok, thanks for that.
    There is somethig a bit strange though.  When i log onto the server (physically logging on), a message pops up at the bottom right, telling me that i have 25, 24, 23, etc. days left.
    But, when i log on via connector from a remote computer on my lan, and look in the settings/resources tab, it tells me that this is an evaluatin copy, and it will expire on 02/05/2010, i.e. more along the lines of the original 120 trial period.
    thanks.

If you didn't activate with another key, that would cause that problem.  Until you activate with a key (to get you 120 days), you only have 30 days.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Ok, thanks for that.
    thanks.

If you didn't activate with another key, that would cause that problem.  Until you activate with a key (to get you 120 days), you only have 30 days.

I don't understand.
    To clarify, i originally loaded WHS and registered it with a 120 key.  They i had to wipe the server clean, formatted all HD's, and re-installed WHS.  Then i tried to register again with the 120 day, but it would not allow that.   Only about 30 days have gone since i received the 120 day key.
    I understand the explanation from Olaf that the key can only be used once.
    But it is still strange that on the server i see that i've only got another 25 days, and when viewing via connector, the settings tab tells me that the version is valid until 02/05/2010.
    Any ideas?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 6:20 AM
  • It might be a bug - since covering trials is not a top priority.
    (Logging in to the desktop is not supported, so this part will not get attention by developers at all.)

Are the informations still identical after rebooting? I cannot exclude, that some behavior of trial keys changed (since I do not use trial versions in my environment), so it could also be, that the activation still matches the original time if installed on the same hardware. This wasn't the case in the past.
    Could also be, that you see two different time bombs on the system, one coming from the base OS (Server 2003), one from Windows Home Server. The team cannot alter the base OS coding, so the Server 2003 trial may develop it's own timer.

You can try and see, what happens, after the 30 days are over.
    In worst case perform another server reinstall without entering a product key, this would give you also 30 days.

Olaf
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:19 AM
  • It might be a bug - since covering trials is not a top priority.
    (Logging in to the desktop is not supported, so this part will not get attention by developers at all.)

Are the informations still identical after rebooting? I cannot exclude, that some behavior of trial keys changed (since I do not use trial versions in my environment), so it could also be, that the activation still matches the original time if installed on the same hardware. This wasn't the case in the past.
    Could also be, that you see two different time bombs on the system, one coming from the base OS (Server 2003), one from Windows Home Server. The team cannot alter the base OS coding, so the Server 2003 trial may develop it's own timer.

That was my guess as well (but you explained it much better than I did  :)  ).

You can try and see, what happens, after the 30 days are over.
    In worst case perform another server reinstall without entering a product key, this would give you also 30 days.

Olaf

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:17 AM