New server build problems RRS feed

• Question

• WHS with power pack 2 running on a Asus M4a785td-m evo and AMD Athlon II proc with 2 gb of ddr3 OCZ memory.  System runs great but after long file transfers it freezes and will not respond.  I have to either hit the reset or hold the power button.  I'm thinking its a driver issue but I'm using the windows drivers for everything except the nic.  I have the sata set to ide.  I have the toolkit with is useless or I am haven't decided which it is yet... 

Went with this combo for the power savings and cool running internals.  Nothing in the event log except the system shutdown unexpectingly. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:02 PM

All replies

• I have seen Windows Explorer hogging up memory in Windows Server 2003 after it was released, while copying large files around, also locally.
    Never could figure out the reason (usually it was in an IDE configuration, so drivers could play a role).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Olaf,

I'll see if I can put some monitoring utilities on the box and watch it.  However, I'm using the inherint windows drivers for the controllers. 

btw your post reminds me how much I miss Germany this time of the year...  Prost!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 7:32 PM
  • You should update the drivers with the AMD drivers offered for your mobo. Select the XP drivers and give it a try.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Ok I'm conceding that this will not work with whs.  What would be a good new mobo to purchase that is known to work with whs.  I like the fact that what I currently have sips on power and doesn't run hot.  Also, its a very quiet box which is important.  However, I would like it to not freeze all of the time...  
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:27 PM
  • I had issues with my new install freezing during backup. Someone advised me that it was probably the server NIC. So I borrowed a Netgear GA311 and disabled the onboard realtek RTL8211cl. I am now running flawlessly. I have a d-link pci card coming today, and will try that.
    Hope that helps.

I have an AsRock new mobo, with Athlon 64 X2 5400, 2 gig, 250 satall, 500 satall.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:27 PM