firewall port settings RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a bit confused, I have been playing games on msn with no problems till now. I get this message when I try to play:

Some games will not load if your computer system connects to the Internet through a firewall or proxy server unless certain TCP Ports are opened in the firewall or proxy server. Most work, school, and public computers are connected through a firewall or proxy server for security. If you have a cable or DSL modem, you may also have a firewall installed. To open these ports, consult the help files for your firewall software or contact your network administrator or IT technician for assistance. Ports that need to be opened to play MSN Games:

80 (To access the Internet – required for all games.)

443 (Sign In)

1863 (Windows Live Messenger– needed for multiplayer games and Windows Live Messenger games)

1935 (Bunco)

6891 and 6900 (Windows Live Messenger File Transfer features – only necessary if you wish to use these features in Windows Live Messenger.)

28000-28809 (Internet Games that are pre-installed in Windows XP.)

Also, check your firewall to make sure SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is not blocked.

For the most part, I am not completely retarded when it comes to computers, but I opened my firewall settings thru live one care and I dont see anything about these numbers under the ports. If someone could help I would appreciate it, I believe it may be causing issues with other game sites as well, and thats the main reason I get online is to play games. Please help me!!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:47 PM

Answers

• I don't think that the problem you are experiencing is due to the OneCare firewall. That would be particularly true if you were able to play these games with OneCare installed before.

Do you also have other security software installed that may not have been completely removed when you installed OneCare?

Did you play games on the MSN site after installing OneCare without a problem until recently?

As for other game sites, that could be a firewall issue. As far as I know, the MSN games should be allowed through the firewall with no special configuration on your part.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• I don't think that the problem you are experiencing is due to the OneCare firewall. That would be particularly true if you were able to play these games with OneCare installed before.

Do you also have other security software installed that may not have been completely removed when you installed OneCare?

Did you play games on the MSN site after installing OneCare without a problem until recently?

As for other game sites, that could be a firewall issue. As far as I know, the MSN games should be allowed through the firewall with no special configuration on your part.

-steve

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem.  I had repaired my XP Pro installation, so none of my Windows updates were installing.  Got that fixed, and something like 17 Windows updates installed.  MSN games worked fine until I started trying to figure out the Updates problem.  Updates solved, now I can't play multiplayer MSN games.   I went into my network connections and (I think I did it right) manually opened ports 1863, 6891, and 6900.  No difference.  I don't think it's my firewall software - as far as I know, it didn't change.  I suspect it's something that happened during the Windows update.  Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Stumpy Stump Stumped

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:14 PM
  • You may want to try the  Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Or contact MSN Support - http://support.msn.com

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:45 PM

-steve

i having same issue and i dont use onecare and i add the port it wanted me too and i still having issues plz help
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:02 AM
  • i having same issue and i dont use onecare and i add the port it wanted me too and i still having issues plz help

See the post directly above yours.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:16 AM
  • I was playing Spades without problems. Now I am not able to reach the last stage...it tells me to close and re launch... I restored the comp...same on laptop...same at home comp on a diff server... always same message.... Cant play any online game here, but I can play online games from games installed on windows...No point there...people leave because they lose nothing...no ratings there... How can I play on the zone again??...Help!
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:57 AM
  • I was playing Spades without problems. Now I am not able to reach the last stage...it tells me to close and re launch... I restored the comp...same on laptop...same at home comp on a diff server... always same message.... Cant play any online game here, but I can play online games from games installed on windows...No point there...people leave because they lose nothing...no ratings there... How can I play on the zone again??...Help!

Go here: http://zone.msn.com/en/support/article/supporttoc.htm

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:36 PM