none
Please Delete

All replies

• Hi

It is a good question, I have seen this myself as well.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi Josh,

I guess it all depends on which forums you frequent. The CSGs who oversee the PowerShell forum (primarily AnnaWY) are quite good about marking answers that were posted by community members.

That said, you can always apply to be a moderator yourself and help clean up the forums that you follow:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5843.how-to-become-an-msdn-or-technet-forum-moderatoranswerer.aspx

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,085+ strong and growing)

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Hi Josh,

I do not disagree with you but They are not always wrong . Sometimes they mark there own answer because if you see whenever they answer they always post through and complete answer if OP has reported some problem they would give all possible solutions considering all possible mistakes one can do so in case of ambiguity they tend to mark there own answer.Having said that a question can have multiple answers and they must mark other answers as well.

Sometimes when you are new and question is not complete( an incomplete question posted by OP) they tend not to mark a new person answer instead go with there. May be if you stick to forum more( I guess you already have sufficient points) you will develop a repo so that people believe your answer.

I have also seen them marking answer of a forum newbie as opposed to answer given by MVP and MCC's

I have also seen them marking a totally different answer , may be we are thinking our answer is correct which actually might not be totally correct.

Can you show some thread as a proof ?

PS: I am sure there must be some guideline set by Microsoft how to mark answer when it comes to MSFT CSG guys

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

Friday, September 5, 2014 10:50 AM
  • You mean like Simon_Hou did in this thread Can you customize Print functionality to only print some portion in SSRS??

Marking ones own post as an answer shows very poor taste unless that was the only reply for a thread in my opinion. I believe in said thread your reply was correct and first.

Although, not to agree with Simon Hou, Simon provided more insight as to why what the OP wanted to do would not work as well as some references which I did not read. Personally I would've put in my post, if I was Simon Hou, "In addition to the above post" blah, blah, blah and marked your post as the answer.

However when you answer a post, in my opinion, you should attempt to provide information which can be used as reference to satisfy your statements so the OP can review documentation to understand why it will not work. As the OP has no idea of what your insight into the area in question is. Especially with regard to SSRS which is difficult for me to say the least from a VB.Net programming standpoint.

La vida loca

Monday, September 8, 2014 12:46 AM
  • Josh,

Because this is a kind of assault against all members of the Microsoft Contingent Staff, I want to say something in favour of them.

(I'm talking about the MSDN forums, in the Answer forums it is awful and there you are in my opinion right)

Maybe some of those do it, and then most often newbies do it, but most of them simply wait until the community has a good answer. Then they simply do a step back and even if there answer is alike they mark the reply of the community member (I don't mean an MCC but just somebody who wants to help).

If I see something not right done by an MCS, I do it simply, I give a reply to the MCS and tell my complaint (it is seldom a complaint but whatever). Then I delete it. Nobody sees it beside moderators and those cannot make it public or they are no moderator anymore.

I personally am very happy with those Pacetera guys active in the MSDN forums, I've seen much worse moderators than those. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:13 PM
  • If I see something not right done by an MCS, I do it simply, I give a reply to the MCS and tell my complaint (it is seldom a complaint but whatever). Then I delete it. Nobody sees it beside moderators and those cannot make it public or they are no moderator anymore.

Success
    Cor

That's a brilliant idea, Cor!

If I do something that's perceived "wrong" in a forum I moderate, I'd welcome a note like that - no need to get the whole community upset, and yet I get your comments.

Unless and until Microsoft makes it possible to send private messages, this idea has real merit.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:46 PM