PC RESTORE FROM WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an EX485 with 3 desktops and a laptop.  I have recently upgraded all desktops to Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  Laptop is still Vista 64 bit.  Two PCs have Realtek NIC cards and th other has an Intel NIC.  When trying to restore on the 2 with Realtek NICs, the restore disc detects the NICs but still does not connect to server.  On the PC with Intel NIC the card is not even detected.  In each case I have copied the drivers for each onto a USB drive but that still doesn't work.  How am I supposed to be able to restore my PCs in the event of a failure?  Do I need an updated PC Restore Disc or what?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• I have an EX485 with 3 desktops and a laptop.  I have recently upgraded all desktops to Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  Laptop is still Vista 64 bit.  Two PCs have Realtek NIC cards and th other has an Intel NIC.  When trying to restore on the 2 with Realtek NICs, the restore disc detects the NICs but still does not connect to server.  On the PC with Intel NIC the card is not even detected.  In each case I have copied the drivers for each onto a USB drive but that still doesn't work.  How am I supposed to be able to restore my PCs in the event of a failure?  Do I need an updated PC Restore Disc or what?
    For the RealTek NICs, see the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.  Also, for all 3 computers, you need 32-bit versions of your NIC drivers in order for the Restore CD environment to work since it's also 32-bit.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I followed the procedures you directed me to but it didn't do any good.  I also downloaded 32 bit drivers from Intel for the Intel driver but the restore disc still does not even detect the NIC card so I can't even install drivers there.  I don't have a 32 bit machine that I can connect a drive from one of the others to to restore and I shouldn't have to do that anyway.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I had the same problem, the NIC wasn't seen. I downloaded and put on my USB stick the 32bit drivers. When I did the restore it still didn't see the NIC card but on that same screen was "add drivers", I hope that is the right wording, and pointed it to my USB drive which it searched and found the NIC card drivers. I was then able to proceed and finish the restore, been doing this through a lot of rebuilds and so forth.
    Don
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Don, thanks for your reply.  However, when my NIC is not recognized I get the "Install Drivers" button but I don't get the option of telling it where the driver is.  It automatically scans all removable drives for the driver.  It says it found the driver and installed it but still does not recognize the device.  When I continue it still cannot locate my server. 

CJoeP
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:49 PM
  • The lack of granular information during that scan for drivers phase is frustrating.  You don't even know if they are properly loaded until you go to the next stage and at a point at which if that step has an issue you cannot merely try another driver reload but instead have to completely restart the process (which takes a lot of time BTW).  ...ughh - I feel your pain.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Being that I haven't done this in awhile I just went to my Dell XPS Studio 16 laptop running Win7 RTM X64. The first thing I did is decide where I wanted to restore it to. I did this from logging in to the Console and this particular computer. As I was already there I went to backups and opened up the date I wanted to back up to so I could view it. Once there I copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder to my desktop. I then went to Dell and looked for 32bit drivers for my NIC, there were none for Win7 so I downloaded the 32bit driver for Vista 32bit. I transferred that to the folder mentioned above and then copied everything to the USB drive.

I put in the restore disc, the most recent one, along with the USB Drive. I rebooted and when it came up it did not show my NIC card. I then clicked on additional drivers and it did the search. It then picked up the NIC card and showed it in the window above the rest of the things that it saw. I then proceeded and chose the backup and off it went. It currently has about 18 minutes to go so it is working.

If there are any problems past this I will post back but as it is now it went through as it was supposed to do and is doing the restore.
    Don
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:56 PM
  • I followed the procedures you directed me to but it didn't do any good.  I also downloaded 32 bit drivers from Intel for the Intel driver but the restore disc still does not even detect the NIC card so I can't even install drivers there.  I don't have a 32 bit machine that I can connect a drive from one of the others to to restore and I shouldn't have to do that anyway.
    Are you using the new PP3 Restore CD?
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:54 AM