OCS 2007 R2 setup, what components are needed to only provide IM functionality RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a 64 bit 2008 server running OCS 2007 R2 standard. I've gotten IM working with communicator successfully, but I have a huge amount of extra components installed that I dont need. We have a very large Cisco VOIP solution in place, and so only need the IM functionality in OCS, but I'm not sure what components I can safely uninstall. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 7:40 PM

Answers

• A standard Edition server only comes in a consolidated configuration, so you can't remove any of the other services,  But if you can stop and set to 'Disabled' all of the Office Communications Server services except for the Front-End and IM Conferencing services.  You could even stop the IM conferencing service if you want to limit IM to 2-party peer-to-peer usage, but I suggest you leave it running to support 3+ party IM chat sessions.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:45 PM

All replies

• A standard Edition server only comes in a consolidated configuration, so you can't remove any of the other services,  But if you can stop and set to 'Disabled' all of the Office Communications Server services except for the Front-End and IM Conferencing services.  You could even stop the IM conferencing service if you want to limit IM to 2-party peer-to-peer usage, but I suggest you leave it running to support 3+ party IM chat sessions.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated! :)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:29 PM