none
Technical Schools and Exam Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  

Was wondering if anyone knows how Technical Schools that are Microsoft Partners

and offer MS certifications get the word that exam changes have been made?  

There seems to be a problem at the school that I attend in that they do not seem

to be prepared for the very recent changes to the 70-640, 70-642 and 643

exam objectives (Server 2008 R2).  The new 75 question 3.5 hour test is now in

place via Prometric and since the school's labs/materials do not reflect the changes,

students are failing.  It seems that the exam changes were made around Sept 1

but we and the school just learned about the changes this week.

Is it the Learning Partners responsibility to get support from MS on changing their

labs/materials etc?  Or is it MS's responsibility to get it to the schools?

Thanks very much for any insight into this.  There seems to be little mention

of this process anywhere on the 'net.

Ayrjet

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:42 AM

Answers

• We had a large discussion about the recent changes of these exams (mainly 70-640 I think).

First of all, Microsoft always has the right to change the exams whenever they want without telling anyone about these changes. This is more or less a normal work for them.

In the Discussion, it was said, that Microsoft always want to keep all exams up to date and Microsoft expects that people who learn for an exam are using the latest Service Packs.

So from what I saw, the big problem in here was, that the step to R2 was not just a Service Pack. It was a big new release. But it seems that microsoft thought that Windows 2008 R2 is just some kind of Service Pack so they continued to use the Windows 2008 exams. And then they did a good work (Yeah, bad for the students, but they did their work correct) and added the important new technology to the exams.

The homepage of the exam wasn't updated and there was a lot of confusion, because even the regional support centers didn't know anything about these updates. So after the changes people asked at the regional service centers and got answeres like "There was no change". But all these issues was solved and Microsoft changed the webpage of the exam and such stuff.

But one point that wasn't discussed at all (or I missed it) - Are there MOC learning materials? Was that updated, too? Or is there a missing point, too? Maybe some MCT or so could say something about that? I think that could be the answer to your questions. (e.g. If microsoft changed their official material, then it is simply the job of the Trainer/School to use the latest material.)

Maybe you want to look a little bit inside this forum - there was multiple threads about the 70-640 exam ...

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:30 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• We had a large discussion about the recent changes of these exams (mainly 70-640 I think).

First of all, Microsoft always has the right to change the exams whenever they want without telling anyone about these changes. This is more or less a normal work for them.

In the Discussion, it was said, that Microsoft always want to keep all exams up to date and Microsoft expects that people who learn for an exam are using the latest Service Packs.

So from what I saw, the big problem in here was, that the step to R2 was not just a Service Pack. It was a big new release. But it seems that microsoft thought that Windows 2008 R2 is just some kind of Service Pack so they continued to use the Windows 2008 exams. And then they did a good work (Yeah, bad for the students, but they did their work correct) and added the important new technology to the exams.

The homepage of the exam wasn't updated and there was a lot of confusion, because even the regional support centers didn't know anything about these updates. So after the changes people asked at the regional service centers and got answeres like "There was no change". But all these issues was solved and Microsoft changed the webpage of the exam and such stuff.

But one point that wasn't discussed at all (or I missed it) - Are there MOC learning materials? Was that updated, too? Or is there a missing point, too? Maybe some MCT or so could say something about that? I think that could be the answer to your questions. (e.g. If microsoft changed their official material, then it is simply the job of the Trainer/School to use the latest material.)

Maybe you want to look a little bit inside this forum - there was multiple threads about the 70-640 exam ...

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:30 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad,

Thanks for your reply.  I have looked extensively on this and other sites for any information on this process but to no avail.
    Hence my, post on this forum.  I have seen the threads about the actual changes to, and complaints about, 640 and the others.

I think it's important to find out how this process works as I and others are spending many $ at technical schools under
    the assumption that the material being taught is timely and preparation for the exams abide by the most current MS exam
    objectives. (and I agree with you that MS has every right to change the objectives at any time).

I took and passed the 70-640 exam about 5 weeks ago.  This was the 40 question 90 minute exam that had no reference
    to R2.  Other students have taken 70-642 and 643 since that time and have reported the same amount of questions and
    time and no reference to R2.  However, this past week some testers in 642 have complained that the test is now 75 questions
    and 3.5 hours with many questions on R2...and they are failing.

The school seems to be clueless about this change and I can't understand how an MS Certified Partner can be clueless about
    such an important point.  Surely there must be some kind of communication between MS and their partners.  The school is now
    telling their 2008 Server students to "hold off" on taking their exams until they can figure it out.

If this is a problem with the school not taking action, after being advised by MS of the changes (presumably around Sept 1),
    then it would behoove the students to know this so that there can possibly be some compensation negotiated.

Thanks again for any information you or anyone else here can provide.

Ayrjet

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:09 AM