My office 2010 home and student key stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I have just done a clean install of windows 7 home premium and am now trying to re-install my office 2010 home and student.  I had 3 separate activated installations of the office software prior to upgrade.  The re-install should replace one of those installations.  The office installer accepts my key as valid, however the activation process rejects my key as invalid.  I have also tried a phone based activation.  It also failed.  I've called the customer support who told me that the key is blocked.  Where do I go from here?  This is a valid purchased key.  Are there any options open to me (aside from purchasing another license)?

Thanks 

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

A quick update on this.

I contacted Digital River, but they were unable to assist.  They redirected me back to Microsoft Support.

So, this morning I called Microsoft Support again.  This time round, the assigned support analyst was more helpful than the earlier one and opened a case ticket to escalate me to technical support.  The technical support analyst was able to see that I had exceeded my allowable activations.  As 2 of these activations had very similar hardware id (it was the same pc, but i had upgraded the ram since originally installing office 2010), he was able to help me to work through the issue.

Notwithstanding that I am now able to activate my office 2010 (and so naturally I'm happy), my experience with technical support was actually very good.  They were well informed and had the tools necessary to help me troubleshoot.

Cheers

Bob

• Marked as answer by bfch Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hello bfch,

From what source did you purchase Office H&S 2010?

If your purchase included physical materials, please describe, but don't post any product keys.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

I obtained my Office 2010 keys via the Ofifice 2007 tech guarantee.  I have a retail box Office 2007 home and student.

Bob

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Hello bfch,

Are there any other installations of any other Office (including trials) on the computer onto which you are trying to install Office H&S 2010?  If there are, uninstall them.

Are you using the correct installation media?  Do you have an Office H&S 2010 full retail installation disc, or did you do a fresh download of Office H&S 2010 from here:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx

Here is the page for the Tech Guarantee program (which is now closed FYI):  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/.  Clicking the backup link takes you to the page that I posted immediately above.  Log onto your account using the sign in at the upper right corner to be sure that you have copied down the key correctly.  Use the Contact Us link to call send a message to Digital River tech support (Microsoft's online distributor for much of its software) to ask about if and why the product key is blocked (assuming the customer support you already called is not this same customer support).

(Just as an FYI, note that the Office 2010 Tech Guarantee is not an Upgrade per se--it is an additional full license of the Office 2010 edition that corresponds with the Office 2007 edition that you purchased and activated within the tech Guarantee program time period.  As such, you are still permitted full use of the Office H&S 2007 that you purchased during the Tech Guarantee program for other computers.)

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your detailed response.

- are there any other installations of other office on the computer? no.  i'm installing on a clean windows 7 installation

- am i using the correct media? i am using a file labelled x16-32007 that i downloaded from the tech guarantee site.  I've successfully installed using this media previously.  I just tried the download link you provided, but it failed due to 'product key blocked for activation'

I'll give the contact us link a try and see if they can provide a reason for the block.

Thanks also for the note re: office 2007 license.  Good to know that I have a fall-back if I am unable to get office 2010 to work.

Bob

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Hello,

A quick update on this.

I contacted Digital River, but they were unable to assist.  They redirected me back to Microsoft Support.

So, this morning I called Microsoft Support again.  This time round, the assigned support analyst was more helpful than the earlier one and opened a case ticket to escalate me to technical support.  The technical support analyst was able to see that I had exceeded my allowable activations.  As 2 of these activations had very similar hardware id (it was the same pc, but i had upgraded the ram since originally installing office 2010), he was able to help me to work through the issue.

Notwithstanding that I am now able to activate my office 2010 (and so naturally I'm happy), my experience with technical support was actually very good.  They were well informed and had the tools necessary to help me troubleshoot.

Cheers

Bob

• Marked as answer by bfch Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Hello bfch,

Nice to see your issue was resolved.

The activation system does have some wiggle room to accommodate the things that many people do with their computers, but sometimes it takes more than one try to access the "wiggle."

Thank You for keeping us posted :-)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:45 PM