Hide Transactions? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if Microsoft Deluxe Money Plus have the ability to hide transactions?

I have set up fake accounts to save money for upcoming things like property taxes and just transfer over to this fake account and then when the time comes to pay the bill I transfer it back to the checking account. Now I have all these lines of transactions that show up when I am balancing the statement and they just keep increasing. They don't reconcile because they didn't actually happen at the bank. Is there anyway I can hide them? They are kind of in the way.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:09 AM

All replies

• You could right-click the transaction and choose Void. If the transaction is a Transfer, you could Void it from either account.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:42 AM
  • I could try that, will that stop it from showing up when I'm balancing the account?
    • Proposed as answer by DominicP Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:47 AM
  • I could try that, will that stop it from showing up when I'm balancing the account?

Void marks the transaction reconciled so, no, it won't show up when balancing.

As DominicP points out, however, this is really the hard way to use Money. Kinda like using a hammer to drive screws.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I probably don't understand the whole workings of the program but I have to actually save the money and not see it in my balance or I wont save it.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:25 PM
  • I tried the void and it changes my balances So I must not understand what I'm doing.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:21 PM
  • I probably don't understand the whole workings of the program but I have to actually save the money and not see it in my balance or I wont save it.

That means I did not understand what you were doing. I thought you were transfering some funds from your checking account to a Money account that represented allocated funds that were still held in the checking account. So if you had $5000 in the checking account, and you transfered $1000 to your pretend account, then the checking account would appear to hold $4000. Then when you balanced, the balance would not meet the bank's number of $5000. Voiding the transfer would indeed change the checking account balance back to $5000 for your balancing against the statement. Then un-voiding could put the $1000 back into your pretend account after balancing.

How does that effect differ from what you are trying to accomplish?

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Money keeps track of the actual balance in your accounts. Money has no facility to create reserves for you. If you enter amounts which will not appear on your bank statements the balance on the account in Money will be incorrect.

If you create a scheme to set amounts aside Money can track the amounts you set aside, but the scheme and its management are your responsibility.

To set funds aside, set up a new bank account - call it Budget, Reserve or whatever your bank thinks is appropriate - and transfer amounts to it to meet your expected liabilities. When the payments are due, transfer funds back to your main account and pay them.

Alternatively, pay the liabilities from the Budget account and treat the balance on your main account as free to spend as you like. From time to time you would need to transfer adjusting amounts between the accounts when the accumulated differences between the expected and actual payments from the Budget account become significant.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:50 PM