Deployment across multiple affiliated companies RRS feed

• Question

• We face a deployment of CRM across a handful of affiliated companies within one group. All affiliated companies are totally separate organisations, also geographically spread. From a business development and sales perspective we would like to expose all companies to same fundamental information (e.g. sales leads, client contact information, current activities, sales collateral such as case studies and profiles, etc.). There would be information that are seen as sensitive, such as costing proposals, that we would like to remain within the domain of the originator (i.e. not seen by all).

What are our deployment options, using a single server platform hosted by let's say one of the companies (who are already using CRM internally)? How do we keep certain information (such as pricing) pertaining to a potentially common client confidential?

I am not a 'technologist', but a business development executive tasked to drive the project from a business requirements perspective.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:00 AM

Answers

• You can use one CRM server hosted in one company. By enabling IFD authentication and publishing the CRM application over the Internet, all companies will have access to the server.

To maintain data confidentiality, just create as many business unit as you have companies and set the security roles to enable users to see only their own (or their business unit) sensitive data.

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi Joburg,

This is often a question many folks deal with when architecting crm in a large deployment.  You basically have two primary choices:

a.  create a single crm organization and use business units / teams / sharing/unsharing to setup the various division in the company. 

b.  create separate crm organizations for each division in the company. 

There are many pros/cons to each approach and it really depends on the business.  Items such as how much information is should be shared between the divisions.  IF they are very independent divisions where they behave and act like separate companies, then I'd lean toward option b.  If the bulk of the data is the same and cross selling is a key item, then I'd lean toward option a.

Definitely this is a big question where you should invest the time to model, on paper, what the end picture should look like.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

• You can use one CRM server hosted in one company. By enabling IFD authentication and publishing the CRM application over the Internet, all companies will have access to the server.

To maintain data confidentiality, just create as many business unit as you have companies and set the security roles to enable users to see only their own (or their business unit) sensitive data.

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi Joburg,

This is often a question many folks deal with when architecting crm in a large deployment.  You basically have two primary choices:

a.  create a single crm organization and use business units / teams / sharing/unsharing to setup the various division in the company. 

b.  create separate crm organizations for each division in the company. 

There are many pros/cons to each approach and it really depends on the business.  Items such as how much information is should be shared between the divisions.  IF they are very independent divisions where they behave and act like separate companies, then I'd lean toward option b.  If the bulk of the data is the same and cross selling is a key item, then I'd lean toward option a.

Definitely this is a big question where you should invest the time to model, on paper, what the end picture should look like.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Thanks Tanguy T
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Thanks Alex
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:48 AM