Console won't connect from client RRS feed

• Question

• Okay. First many thanx who have helped me so far.  I have now re-installed the WHS and
    I also did a restore of my XP Client to a good state before I had tried to install
    the Connector software last time. 

I made sure all updated from Microsoft were installed on the WHS before I did anything else.

On the client, I did the same thing as before, I ran the Connector CD and it connected to the server
    and downloaded some files, than ran.  It configured okay so it seemed, asked for the admin
    password of the server, went on and gave 2 green check marks for "Connecting to Server"
    and "Configuring Backups", but after that I clicked on NEXT and the Connector software crashed
    and said there was a serious error and should I report this to Microsoft.   I answered no and then
    I got a box pop up that said the Connector could not find the WHS and the install did not complete.

Ugghh!

I pinged the WHS and all was okay.  I could RDP into the server (to make sure it was still up, just logged
    in a logged back out) and all was okay.  So, I then on the client ran the Connector from Programs
    and it popped into the tray and turned green and looks okay.  But when I try to connect using the
    Windows Home Server Console, using the admin password, it waits a few seconds and says "This
    computer cannot connect to your home server" Check the network connections...blah blah blah..".

At this point I am lost. Now that I have another day's work into this and FINALLY got the backup
    service to say it was working (although I haven't connected the USB hard drive to the server yet),
    but the Console won't work on the client?

I don't want to do anything else without some help.  Any suggestions?  :)

Oh..the firewall is disabled on the client and it's has been disabled.  The last time when the
    backup service wouldn't work at least the Connector software worked on the client.

Friday, September 4, 2009 2:16 PM

All replies

• Can you run ipconfig /all in a command prompt on your server and on a client computer that's having this problem, and post both please?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:52 PM
  • No problem here is the info --

Client --
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : prec370
    Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Tenda W54U Wireless USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-8C-04-6A-74
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 04, 2009 9:55:25 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

Server --
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : creamer
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-98-2E-E8
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.60

If it helps at all, I did try to reboot both the server and the client and it did not change anything.

Also, since I have been home now I also decided to simply re-install the Connector on the client to see maybe
    if it was just a messed up install for whatever reason...well it did the same exact thing.

I'm thinking about not even worrying about it and just using RDP but I have been scolded here on the board
    for using RDP instead of the Console on the client.  So I'm trying to be a good boy :)

I also plan on turning off DHCP on the client but I just haven't done it yet since the re-image.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Here is some additonal information if it helps.

I am going through a router. Can something on the router be blocking it?  If so why does the direct RDP work?
    And why did the Connector work before on my first installtion of WHS and now not on this 2nd installtion. Nothing
    has changed on the router.

I actually did not install the Connector from the CD on the client. I installed from the UNC address on the server's software folder and ran setup.exe.

I just now decided..maybe lets try to install from the Connector CD.  So I popped the CD into the drive on the client
    and it started up on its own and came up with a box that said "Downloading files from server 0%" and that's where it stayed for about
    20 seconds and then popped up with an error "Cannot locate server".

Lastly, I just installed the Connector software from the same UNC server software folder onto a different client, one of my laptop.
    Windows XP Pro.  It can RDP into the server.  When I ran the Connector software it did the same exact thing as it did on my desktop.
    Errored out at the end and said cannot find server and setup could not finish. 

So, I don't think the problem is specific to my desktop PC.

I can't imagine this makes any more difference than what color shirt I am wearing, but on THIS installation of WHS I named my server something
    different than the last time I installed it. The only device that that would matter to maybe is the router?  Nahhh...that can't matter.  I'm stumped.

Will these problems leak over the first time I try to perform a backup?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:19 PM
  • No problem here is the info --

Client --
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : prec370
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Tenda W54U Wireless USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-8C-04-6A-74
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 04, 2009 9:55:25 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 11:14:07 PM

Server --
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : creamer
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-98-2E-E8
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.60

If it helps at all, I did try to reboot both the server and the client and it did not change anything.

Also, since I have been home now I also decided to simply re-install the Connector on the client to see maybe
    if it was just a messed up install for whatever reason...well it did the same exact thing.

I'm thinking about not even worrying about it and just using RDP but I have been scolded here on the board
    for using RDP instead of the Console on the client.  So I'm trying to be a good boy :)

I also plan on turning off DHCP on the client but I just haven't done it yet since the re-image.

First thing I noticed is that you manually assigned the IP address to your server.  Is that IP address outside the pool of IP addresses handed out by your DHCP server/router?  Have you tried rebooting the router?  Did you try disconnecting your modem from your router, then try installing the Connector software?
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Yes, the router is assigned to hand out IP addresses from .2.3 through .2.50 (not like I need 47 addresses, I just gave it a good round ending number)

No, I have not tried rebooting he router.  The modem was actually swapped out yesterday afternoon by a tech for a different problem so the modem
    has definately been reset.  The modem was swapped after I started having the problem.

I have now assigned a static IP address to the client but it did not make a change.

Here is something else interesting.

I read about going to

http://(my server name):55000/

to download the Connector software.  I actually installed it originally from the [\\(my server name)\software\Connector CD]  folder.  I don't think this should make
    any difference. However, on the http://(my server name):55000/ page I noticed their was a toolkit with a Connector troubleshooter.  So I downloaded
    and installed that.  It did its whatever it did and came back with a problem report.  It said that the Connector software on my client was a different
    version than my WHS and I should delete the local folder on the client and re-install the Connector from the server.  But, I did indeed install the Connector
    software from the server.  So what gives there?

Finally, its interesting that when I use the Remote Admin (logging into the server from https://(my serve name).homeserver.com), when I click on
    the "Computers" tab, it shows my client but the state for remote access is unavailable.  Hmmm...so I tried setting up remote desktop access directly
    from outside of the network and it worked just fine to the client.  So, why does it say its unavailable from the Remote Admin on the server?
    I think its part of the same issues going on but I am at a loss to troubleshoot it. 

Thanx for your thoughts so far.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Yes, the router is assigned to hand out IP addresses from .2.3 through .2.50 (not like I need 47 addresses, I just gave it a good round ending number)

No, I have not tried rebooting he router.  The modem was actually swapped out yesterday afternoon by a tech for a different problem so the modem
    has definately been reset.  The modem was swapped after I started having the problem.

I have now assigned a static IP address to the client but it did not make a change.

Here is something else interesting.

I read about going to

http://(my server name):55000/

to download the Connector software.  I actually installed it originally from the [\\(my server name)\software\Connector CD]  folder.  I don't think this should make
    any difference. However, on the http://(my server name):55000/ page I noticed their was a toolkit with a Connector troubleshooter.  So I downloaded
    and installed that.  It did its whatever it did and came back with a problem report.  It said that the Connector software on my client was a different
    version than my WHS and I should delete the local folder on the client and re-install the Connector from the server.  But, I did indeed install the Connector
    software from the server.  So what gives there?

That's a "known issue".  Just ignore it.  :)  Did everything else pass in the report?

Finally, its interesting that when I use the Remote Admin (logging into the server from https://(my serve name).homeserver.com), when I click on
    the "Computers" tab, it shows my client but the state for remote access is unavailable.  Hmmm...so I tried setting up remote desktop access directly
    from outside of the network and it worked just fine to the client.  So, why does it say its unavailable from the Remote Admin on the server?
    I think its part of the same issues going on but I am at a loss to troubleshoot it. 

What OS (version and type) are you trying to connect to?

Thanx for your thoughts so far.
    Did you try disconnecting the modem from the router?  I would still try rebooting the router as well.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Although I thought I had reset the router already, I went ahead and reset it and now I can connect with the Connector from my XP Pro machine.

But, I just installed and configured the Connector on my wife's computer from the \\server name\software folder and it won't connect
    using the Connector. Although it did not crash when it completed the installation.

My wife is running Windows 7 64-bit.  It seemed to configure the backups okay and its doing its first backup now.

I also noticed that even though the username and password on the server for her account matches the username and password on her computer, when
    I open up shared folders it keeps asking for a password.

Maybe something with Windows 7 64-bit or 7 in general.

But for now these are minor things as she would rarely if ever need to get into the Connector.

For now as long as its working on my desktop that's the main issue.

Thanx!
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Although I thought I had reset the router already, I went ahead and reset it and now I can connect with the Connector from my XP Pro machine.

But, I just installed and configured the Connector on my wife's computer from the \\server name\software folder and it won't connect
    using the Connector. Although it did not crash when it completed the installation.

When it rains, it pours.  :)  What is the error message when you try to connect?  You might try running ipconfig /all from that one as well and post it here (plus run the server again, just to make sure it hasn't changed since last time).

My wife is running Windows 7 64-bit.  It seemed to configure the backups okay and its doing its first backup now.

I also noticed that even though the username and password on the server for her account matches the username and password on her computer, when
    I open up shared folders it keeps asking for a password.

Check the FAQ post:  How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested and see if it helps.

Maybe something with Windows 7 64-bit or 7 in general.

But for now these are minor things as she would rarely if ever need to get into the Connector.

For now as long as its working on my desktop that's the main issue.

Thanx!

Monday, September 7, 2009 12:22 AM