Windows XP activation. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to reformat my Dell computer, but I lost the OEM XP Home cd's they came with.
    Also Dell PC Restore partition was erased.
    Would it be possible to use other OEM/System Bilder XP Home cd's I have?
    I don't have a OEM/System Builder XP home product key.
    Can I use my product key from Dell COA sticker for this Windows reinstallation?
    My friend telling me if it doesn't activated on internet, it can be activated by phone.
    Is that possible?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:06 AM

Answers

• Anonymous,

Interesting situation. Basically the OEM software is tied to the BIOS. You must use the same software as what the COA specifies. If I am following you correctly you are attempting to  use OEM software from say another company (not Dell) and different COA key in order to install OEM software on a Dell system? If this is the case then no it would not work. 

Please contact Dell Technical Support directly @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for a free replacement copy of Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs.  Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal fee for replacing the recovery CDs.  Dell technical support will identify all associated costs giving you options.  Please have all your original purchasing information available should they need any additional information. This will expedite the process.  Remember to back up all data prior reformatting and restoring the hard drive.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Anonymous34122,

Dell customers such as yourself have several options when you need to cleanly install XP on your Dell:

1.  The best option is to use Dell PC Restore by Symantec.  It's really a time saver because it's so fast and because it has the OS, all the drivers, and all the associated programs all wrapped up in one action.  Dell began including it on their Dimension models in mid-July 2004 and almost all consumer models by February 2005.  But sometimes as in your situation the hidden partition that has the restore info has been erased.  So, the next best choice is #2.

2.  The next best option is to use the Dell-supplied Operating System Reinstallation CD.  In my experience, every XP-era Dell Dimension, Inspiron, Latititude, and OptiPlex accepts all Dell XP OS Reinstallation CDs, so if a buddy has the CD for your edition of XP, you can borrow their CD and use it on your computer.  If you don't have access to a CD, you can order one from Dell for a very reasonable charge, last time I checked it was about $15 shipped.  But sometimes you just can't get a CD in time, so next try #3.

3.  The next-best option is, if you can borrow a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD for the edition of XP that you have a CoA for, it will successfully install XP on the computer.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, enter the Product Key on your computer's CoA, and NOT the PK on your buddy's CoA.  After setup is complete, start the Activation Wizard and choose the option to do a Telephonic Activation.

As Stephen noted, any clean installation of XP is going to erase all the data on the hard disk drive, so be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Why does monopolizing hardware add up to solving software Piracy?  There are other ways to control piracy than controlling what hardware options people have.  Try selling Windows Os for twenty dollars and you will solve all the piracy problems and sales will soar so high there will be no need to pirate.  Plenty will pay twenty dollars for an operating system but not many want to pay for a lousy upgrade that is a hundred dollars.  Five will pay twenty dollars before one will pay a hundred.  I have little freedom with Microsoft Operating Systems and that is what computing and the internet is about.  An attempt to control hardware and my software choices as Vista does will not suffice.  I do have other choices not just Mac.  I have to say I have never purchased one piece of Microsoft Software seperately, it was always pre-installed.  I might mention I have never had a desire to purchase any Microsoft Software.  I have better choices.  So why not sell it for what it is really worth?   About twenty dollars for any Windows Operating System and piracy will be solved while sales will soar so high we will make enough off of Bill Gates taxes to build an oil refinery or two.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:02 AM
  • No Hardware Profiling,

Perhaps Microsoft has an opening in the Economics unit of the Marketing Division.  Submit your resume here:  http://members.microsoft.com/careers/default.mspx

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:38 PM

All replies

• Anonymous,

Interesting situation. Basically the OEM software is tied to the BIOS. You must use the same software as what the COA specifies. If I am following you correctly you are attempting to  use OEM software from say another company (not Dell) and different COA key in order to install OEM software on a Dell system? If this is the case then no it would not work. 

Please contact Dell Technical Support directly @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for a free replacement copy of Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs.  Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal fee for replacing the recovery CDs.  Dell technical support will identify all associated costs giving you options.  Please have all your original purchasing information available should they need any additional information. This will expedite the process.  Remember to back up all data prior reformatting and restoring the hard drive.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Anonymous34122,

Dell customers such as yourself have several options when you need to cleanly install XP on your Dell:

1.  The best option is to use Dell PC Restore by Symantec.  It's really a time saver because it's so fast and because it has the OS, all the drivers, and all the associated programs all wrapped up in one action.  Dell began including it on their Dimension models in mid-July 2004 and almost all consumer models by February 2005.  But sometimes as in your situation the hidden partition that has the restore info has been erased.  So, the next best choice is #2.

2.  The next best option is to use the Dell-supplied Operating System Reinstallation CD.  In my experience, every XP-era Dell Dimension, Inspiron, Latititude, and OptiPlex accepts all Dell XP OS Reinstallation CDs, so if a buddy has the CD for your edition of XP, you can borrow their CD and use it on your computer.  If you don't have access to a CD, you can order one from Dell for a very reasonable charge, last time I checked it was about $15 shipped.  But sometimes you just can't get a CD in time, so next try #3.

3.  The next-best option is, if you can borrow a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD for the edition of XP that you have a CoA for, it will successfully install XP on the computer.  When Setup asks for the Product Key, enter the Product Key on your computer's CoA, and NOT the PK on your buddy's CoA.  After setup is complete, start the Activation Wizard and choose the option to do a Telephonic Activation.

As Stephen noted, any clean installation of XP is going to erase all the data on the hard disk drive, so be sure to back up anything you don't want to lose.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:40 AM
  • Why does monopolizing hardware add up to solving software Piracy?  There are other ways to control piracy than controlling what hardware options people have.  Try selling Windows Os for twenty dollars and you will solve all the piracy problems and sales will soar so high there will be no need to pirate.  Plenty will pay twenty dollars for an operating system but not many want to pay for a lousy upgrade that is a hundred dollars.  Five will pay twenty dollars before one will pay a hundred.  I have little freedom with Microsoft Operating Systems and that is what computing and the internet is about.  An attempt to control hardware and my software choices as Vista does will not suffice.  I do have other choices not just Mac.  I have to say I have never purchased one piece of Microsoft Software seperately, it was always pre-installed.  I might mention I have never had a desire to purchase any Microsoft Software.  I have better choices.  So why not sell it for what it is really worth?   About twenty dollars for any Windows Operating System and piracy will be solved while sales will soar so high we will make enough off of Bill Gates taxes to build an oil refinery or two.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 4:02 AM
  • No Hardware Profiling,

Perhaps Microsoft has an opening in the Economics unit of the Marketing Division.  Submit your resume here:  http://members.microsoft.com/careers/default.mspx

Friday, May 25, 2007 4:38 PM