Is there a full download available for One Care? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Onc Care to a computer that has a slow Internet connection and keep getting booted off the Internet before the download can complete.  I have access to a different computer with a dsl connection and would like to just save the entire One Care program to disk and then use it on the other machine.  Is this possible?

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

• The entire point behind the subscription design is that the most current code is always being installed or updated to every PC. Allowing a static copy of the code to be saved for future installation would inherently break this design, so no it isn't supported.

The case where we most often hear this request is issues with low bandwidth or unstable connections such as yours. The point here is that even if you could get OneCare installed initially, you're likely to have problems with future updates for the same reason, so you need to try and resolve those issues first if at all possible.

Though I support a PC on a 46kbps+ dial-up link, I have taken that PC main box to a broadband network temporarily to initially update the operating system and install OneCare. Along the way though, I discovered that it had a problem with Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) that was causing my real problem with the installation. This is why I stated you need to resolve your real problem, since it probably won't go away, but rather just aggravate you later in other ways.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:25 AM

All replies

• I looked around myself for a standalone installer but I don't think it exists.  For now it appears that web-install (or CD install from a purchased package) is the only option.

I did download the small web-installer program so I don't have to go to the OneCare site to reinstall.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:15 AM
  • The entire point behind the subscription design is that the most current code is always being installed or updated to every PC. Allowing a static copy of the code to be saved for future installation would inherently break this design, so no it isn't supported.

The case where we most often hear this request is issues with low bandwidth or unstable connections such as yours. The point here is that even if you could get OneCare installed initially, you're likely to have problems with future updates for the same reason, so you need to try and resolve those issues first if at all possible.

Though I support a PC on a 46kbps+ dial-up link, I have taken that PC main box to a broadband network temporarily to initially update the operating system and install OneCare. Along the way though, I discovered that it had a problem with Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) that was causing my real problem with the installation. This is why I stated you need to resolve your real problem, since it probably won't go away, but rather just aggravate you later in other ways.

OneCareBear

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:25 AM
  • I too have a conflict between One Care and WMI. Is there a downloadable fix or can I remove WMI safely.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  MDCK wrote:
    I too have a conflict between One Care and WMI. Is there a downloadable fix or can I remove WMI safely.

If you are referring to the fact that the Windows Security Center is incorrectly reporting that you have no protection, yet OneCare is green and shows to be active, then this should help:

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, March 17, 2008 1:24 PM