WHS Console problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I have a problem with my windows home server. I can connect to it via RDP, no probelms there, and all connected PC's (3 all XP SP2) all backup to it every day. And all the shares work just fine. What i cannot do, is run the WHS console on each pc, when i double click the icon open to ask for a password, then when you click the arrow to connect it says

"This computer cannot connect to your hone server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restared, try again in a few minutes."

Also when you try to go to the WHS web page, you get the error bellow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Please try the following:

• Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.
    • Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

I'm starting to think that it may be a problem with the IIS service, although it is running, and all seems normal.

Anybody have any ideas, i would much appreciated?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you checked that the IUSR_<computername> account that are connected to the website on the WHS server is enabled ? ( You can get problems like the one you describe if it's disabled)

Regards,

TheConsultant

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:44 PM

All replies

•  goochr96 wrote:

Hello all,

I have a problem with my windows home server. I can connect to it via RDP, no probelms there, and all connected PC's (3 all XP SP2) all backup to it every day. And all the shares work just fine. What i cannot do, is run the WHS console on each pc, when i double click the icon open to ask for a password, then when you click the arrow to connect it says

"This computer cannot connect to your hone server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restared, try again in a few minutes."

Also when you try to go to the WHS web page, you get the error bellow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

• Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

I'm starting to think that it may be a problem with the IIS service, although it is running, and all seems normal.

Anybody have any ideas, i would much appreciated?

Have you tried installing the WHS toolkit on one of your client PCs and the server?  (If not, make sure you read the manual for specific installation instructions.)

Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:18 PM
  •  

Thankyou for the reply, i downloaded that and tried it, and it came up with the following----

1. Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)

2. Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

3. Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)

4. Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)

When i open any of the above, all they say is -----

Cannot connect to the server internal Web services

The server internal Web services use TCP port 55000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router.

• Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server.

• The "WHS site" is started on IIS.

• There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site".

• TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall.

If you need assistance with these tasks, contact Product Support.

Examine the other test results for additional and related information that may resolve this issue.

I have checked all of the above mentiond items, those ports on the firewall are open, for HTTP and HTTPS, and the IIS service is running, and the WHS site is started.

Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks

Chris Goodman

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Out of curiosity, when you are attempting to login to the Admin Console, are you using your user password or the password you entered during OOBE setup? The password required is the home server Administrator password.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Yes, i have checked, and double checked. I am using the one that i set up with WHS. Incidently, when i try to go the WHS remote website, i get the following ---------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 401.
    • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Authentication, Access Control, and About Custom Error Messages.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked that the IUSR_<computername> account that are connected to the website on the WHS server is enabled ? ( You can get problems like the one you describe if it's disabled)

Regards,

TheConsultant

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Wa hey, success, that was my problem! Many thanks all. Special thanks to TheConsultant

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I got EXACTLY the same problem and the troubleshouter comes back with exactly the same respone altough as you noted all those things are OK . Good trouble shooting.  
    My problem appeared AFTER I uninstalled a plugin.  I thought it was the only way to get rid of it as I had it displayed THREE times in the tab list and the instance number was initially one then two ... so I was afraid that I would end up with too many instances iof the same add-in.   Howevr, I can Remote Connect,  I can connect to the web site and I can see the shared folders in the attached computers.  Also it connects trough the console, stays there for a second (takes some 7 minutes to connect) displaying the blue screen and than it gets disconnected.  I am thinking to REINSTALL the server but this makes me a bit nervous as I bought the HP Smart Serever preinstalled.  ANY IDEAS?  I am getting very very frustrated.... I bought this server to put it in a corner, to serve the three computers in the house and ever since I got it two weeks ago . . . I have became bussy system administrator learning about all about the internals of servers, adress resolution  . . .  I was sure this server was supposed to doexactly the oposite . . . Just keep my pictures safe and me unworried . . . I don't really feel like going back to school . . .
    Please help  . . .
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:07 PM
  • .... what is IUSR_ . . ? where is ist and how do you change it to ENABLED?
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Solution :

You all (who are facing WHS Console problem) might installed latest Security update was released on 13-jan-2009 (KB958687).

As of my research on various blogs, Problem occurred after installation of latest Microsoft security updates. Uninstall the security update (KB958687) and check the status , problem will get resolved.

This may be post installation issues of that patch, but as this patch is critical we have to install it.

Regards,
    Sohail Patel
    MCSE-Patch Management team.

Regds,"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    • Proposed as answer by Sohail Patel Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sohail Patel Monday, February 2, 2009 2:44 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I am having the same Issue.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Thank you I was tearing what little air I had left out until I read your post. None of the other steps so far had fixed it.
    A M.S. glitch nearly had me tear down my server !
    Do unto others before they get chance to screw you !
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:27 PM