Restarting backups after replacing a client disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two questions.

The first: I've recently replaced a disk on one of the systems I'm backing up with WHS, increasing the size from 500 GB to 2 TB. All went well, but backups now fail because (I think) the connector client can't find the original disk. When I try to reconfigure the backups through the WHS console, it fails saying the computer is not online or WHS can't access the computer's hard drive - even if I run it from the computer in question.

I've removed the old (shown as failed) drive letter through Disk Management, but at the moment it still shows as a failed volume in the underlying OS.

I can't remove the computer from backups because it says I must unininstall the connector first. And I can't do THAT, because I accidentally erased the software share on the WHS while doing disk copies :-}.
    The second: How do I restore the default software on the \\WHS\Software folder?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:15 PM

Answers

• Restoring the connector software folders on your server...

As for the backup issues, you will probably have to remove the computer entirely from your server, run a backup database cleanup, then re-join the computer to your server, in order to get backups working again on that client.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by shorinseanMVP Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:47 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• Restoring the connector software folders on your server...

As for the backup issues, you will probably have to remove the computer entirely from your server, run a backup database cleanup, then re-join the computer to your server, in order to get backups working again on that client.

• Marked as answer by shorinseanMVP Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:47 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:19 PM
  • When I try to remove the computer, it tells me I must uninstall the connector from it first. But I don't have the connector software because I accidentally eraseed it - question #2. How do I get the connector software back?

What do you consider to be the best practice for backing up WHS? I'm sure there are answers out there somewhere already, I was just hoping you could give me a quick one-sentence answer from your viewpoint :).

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Click the link in my previous post...

Best practice for the average consumer is to purchase sufficient external drives to allow full copies of all shares (one or more shares per drive) and use the functionality built into the product to back the shares up regularly. Then take that backup off site when you don't actually need it at home.

I use a highly custom script that runs robocopy automatically, but otherwise it's the same idea. I take copies to my office.

Friday, March 12, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Heh, you were so smooth in providing the link I skimmed right over it :). Both suggestions worked like a charm, thanks very much!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Heh, you were so smooth in providing the link ...
    Comes from posting a lot...

Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:41 PM