Is Windows XP OEM Product Key Service Pack Dependent? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of XP machines, newly installed with OEM product keys never before used, boxes freshly opened and stickers stuck on the machines.
    The installed Windows XP version is SP2, I can activate the machines fine, then when I log off and back on, I get stuck in an activation loop, that says I need to activate then, it says windows is already activated click ok which logs me off.
    If I run MGAdiag it says it's genuine.
    If I install SP3 this problem goes away, the machine logs on straight away with no loop and if I do msoobe /a it says it's already activated.
    The media that came with the OEM keys is SP3, but I installed SP2 as I needed to run a particular application that currently is only validated for SP2.
    Could it be that the key only works with SP3 installations?
    I didn't think that service pack version played a part in the key, but would like to know if this is the case. At least then I can try and arrange for the application in question to be validated on SP3!

Thanks.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• I've tracked this down to a requirement for Service Pack 2c which isn't available to downloaded.
    This was due to Microsoft running out of XP license keys in 2007 and new keys were released to system builders.
    So now I know this and know I can't download service pack 2c, is there a patch available from PSS that would allow me to use my Service Pack 2c keys on a service pack 2 machine?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:45 AM
  • Please repost you inquiry in the appropriate Windows XP Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:23 PM