Virus on Connector upgrade?? RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt a prompted update of the Connector software, I get a dialogue box saying:

"The downloaded files may contain a virus. The Publisher of at least one of the downloaded files is not trusted. The files could potentially contain a virus. If you want to continue installation anyway, click Next."

Is that normal? Why would MS's own files not be 'trusted'? Anyone who knows anything about this?
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    this message appears, if the OEM did not digitally sign it's installer files or if the digital signature is outdated.
    You can test this by renaming or removing the OEM folder in \\server\Software\Home Server Connector Software before starting the installation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:12 AM

All replies

• Some users have seen this message after an update to their server. It should be harmless. Are you using XP or Vista? And do you have autmatic updating of the connector software turned on? Any AV product on either your server or your clients?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:25 PM
  • I am receiving the same warning message.  My PC is running Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition and using Zone Alarm Extreme Security beta.  The server is not running any AV products.

I have the automatic updates from the server turned on but that is probably not involved as I just loaded Vista onto the PC two days ago.  Before that it was running Windows 7 beta.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Hi,
    this message appears, if the OEM did not digitally sign it's installer files or if the digital signature is outdated.
    You can test this by renaming or removing the OEM folder in \\server\Software\Home Server Connector Software before starting the installation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Ray-D-Oh Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:12 AM