Deleted files multiply themselves RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a mediasmart server with itunes running in the backgroung and an apple TV attached.  I have some movies in my shared directories that I try to delete.  But everytime I do that I end up with extra copies of the file the next day. And everday I keep getting extra copies. I have deleted them from withing itunes as well as from within the windows explorer.

Any ideas as to how I can delete these files?

Thanks.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    are this still real files, which can be opened, or only tombstones or other stuff (I have no clue, what the apple software is doing to your system, if it interfers or not.)?
    What you can try, is following unsupported procedure (given the cause is really the WHS software):
    • Delete the files from the share again.
    • Login to your server via Remote Desktop, using the account name Administrator and the console password.
    • Open Windows Explorer. In Tools/Folder options enable "Show hidden files and folders."
    • Navigate to D:\DE\shares and follow the path down to the location, where these files are stored (if it exists there). If you see the files here, delete them manually.
    • Do the same for C:\fs\<volumemountpoint>\DE\shares for each volume mountpoint (each of those stands for a data disk).
    • Reboot the server.
    If none of the mentioned files can be found any more in any of the mountpoints, it is not longer a matter of WHS, and maybe your ITunes software goes crazy.
    If you get an error message during the attempt to delete something, post it here including path and file name.
    The multiple copies syndrom described is nothing I experienced in context with a known WHS bug. Did you apply all updates for WHS and for the HP software?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Thanks for your ideas.

The files that multiply themselves work just fine. They are not tombstones.
    The files are not available in any of the other mounts once I delete them.
    There are no errors messages when I delete the files.

I will stop running iTunes and see what happens.

Thanks.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:29 PM