Environmental monitoring of Home Server PC RRS feed

• Question

• As the hardware for this server can be located in some "out of the way location" it would be useful to have a utility to monitor the CPU and Case temperatures from a remote location.

Is there software availbe to do this

Thanks

John
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

• OK Problem solved, I found a utility from my Motherboard Manufacturer ASUS and that gives me what I want.

Thanks for all the help..

Great..

John
    Friday, October 26, 2007 4:56 PM

All replies

• There are some software solutions out there, one example is AMD's Cool n Quiet technology and the corresponding AMD Dashboard. More information can be found here.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I have an AMD system and I woudl like to run the Cool and Quiet utility but how do you load it on this sytem and how do you access the utility.
    I am very new to this server technology so excuss the Q if it seems simple.

John
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:26 PM
  • If this is your home server that is the AMD system, use Remote Desktop to log into the Windows Home Server, then from the home server go here and check the 'Utilities, Drivers and Updates' link for the processor you're running. Both the Cool n' Quiet driver and the Dashboard should be listed as an available download. After the two are installed, you would view the dashboard while using Remote Desktop connected to your home server.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:02 PM
  • Marc, I am now going to show my true inexperience, When ever I try to access the Home Server via the Remote Desktop connection i try to sign on with a user ID of a user that has remote access enabled and I get an error something like ..............  to log onto this remote computer you must be allowed to log on thru Terminal Service righ   .... how do I configure thsi please? Or should I be using a different log on

THanks

John
    Friday, October 26, 2007 3:30 PM
  • John

If you are trying to use Remote Desktop you should use the administrator account with whatever password you created. User accounts dont have access because the remote access features of WHS are for remote access via the website and not using Remote Desktop directly to the server.

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Andrew,

Thank You tha's administrator with a small   a   ... I tried this beofre and could not get it to work as i was using a capital A

Thanks
    Friday, October 26, 2007 3:53 PM
  •  

Im not sure that should matter to be honest, Im not in front of my box so I cant try it.

I assume you have enabled RDP on your WHS box?

Andrew

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:02 PM
  • The username isn't case-sensitive, just be sure you use the same password you use whenever you'd launch the Connector from your other home computers.

Username: administrator

Password: (the password entered when launching the Connector from your home computers)

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:06 PM
  • I'm working now as a remote to the WHS, my problem now is that the version of Cool'n'quiet only gives the CPU frequency and the Voltage, nothing about temperatures .... The Dash board utility from the AMD site will not work on this WHS software it is looking for XP or W 2000.

Any Ideas ? would be appreciatted

Thanks

John
    Friday, October 26, 2007 4:50 PM
  • OK Problem solved, I found a utility from my Motherboard Manufacturer ASUS and that gives me what I want.

Thanks for all the help..

Great..

John
    Friday, October 26, 2007 4:56 PM