SQL Express Client support in Sync Framework RRS feed

• Question

• The Local Database Cache Item in Visual Studio 2010 generates the classes necessary for synchronizing SQL Compact databases on the client side. Is an option planned for this tool to generate classes for syncing SQL Express databases and if so when? We have a rather large SQL Server database that relies heavily on stored procs. Eventually we'd like to host this app on Azure, but as a first step need to support remote clients synced to our main server via the Internet. To code by hand would be too time consuming, tedious, prone to error with a database subject to change during development and over time. --Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Glosse,

The Local Database Cache item does not support SQL Express for the client side. Please have a look at this code sample and see if it helps.

"Database Sync - SQL Server and SQL Server Express" - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=3762

SDE, Sync Framework - http://msdn.com/sync/
    • Proposed as answer by Ganeshan Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:24 AM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

It would sure be nice if the Local Database Cache tool did offer SQL Express as an option for the client. In a future release perhaps? Hand coding the sync classes would be prohibitively expensive to hand code for all but the simplest of databases. Or am I missing something?

The sample you cite does not compile under Visual Studio 2010 with the latest Sync Framework drop.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Why does the sync framework site indicate you can sync from almost anything to almost anything and make it sound like this is ready to go?

Then you experience reality and you can't use SQL Express as a data store on the client??? Unless of course you want to write your own sync framework.

COME ON!!

If I've missed something, PLEASE point me to something useful so I can get a critical app that we proposed to a major customer that is supposed to use this wonderful sync framework off the ground.

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:51 PM
  • you can use Sql Express out-of-the-box if you use the SqlSyncProvider. It's the Local Database Cache Wizard that doesnt have a client for SqlExpress. The documentation also steps on how to write a custom provider for ADO.NET compatible databases. i suggest you read the documentation first and go thru the walkthroughs/tutorials and see for your self if that suits your needs.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:57 PM
  • I've made progress syncing my local SQL Express data to my SQL Server using the excellent walkthrough here..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff928700(v=SQL.110).aspx

Now I come up against the need to sync across the internet using a WCF web service, which is somewhat nicely handled when using a Local Database Cache (which isn't SQL Express, naturally), but I find no clean explaination how that is done when using SQL Express.

WCF is foreign to me.

Any pointers?

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:53 AM
  • here's a sample: Database Sync:SQL Server and SQL Express N-Tier with WCF

Thanks! Now I need to make sense of it!
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:42 PM