none
what is SBcore services ?

Question

• i have seen reference to SBcore services and/or SBS and/or Small Business Server....threads here talk about having to disable this in order to user power states in WHS.

what exactly is SBcore services and what does it do?

thanks

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Doing a search on google I discovered that this service originated from MS Small Business Server which is part of the technology used by WHS. Apparently the service is responsible for kicking of sbscrexe.exe which is a SBS Licensing Service from Microsoft.

I have read a few threads about people who turned it off but it can lead to problems. Read this thread.

Michael Ceranski | http://www.codecapers.com
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Main purpose in SBS is make sure you don't violate SBS license restrictons. Since WHS was originally based on SBS this SBCore service in WHS is (IMHO) a useless SBS remnant in WHS which you can safely disable.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Mike Ceranski said:

I have read a few threads about people who turned it off but it can lead to problems. Read this thread.

That's the "problem" you can get with SBcore service running, not by disabling it. Since you violate the part of the SBS EULA which tells you SBS should be the only domain controller in your network SBCore service will cause the system to shutdown every 30 minutes or so. Disable the service and the problem should be gone (although you are violating SBS EULA)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:34 PM
  • brubber said:

... a useless SBS remnant in WHS ...

I would have to disagree. In WHS it serves effectively the same purpose as it does in SBS: it prevents the end user from joining the server to a domain, which is a violation of the EULA.

However, I agree that disabling it is harmless. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:38 PM
  • so net/net what i am hearing is:

-SBcore services has no real function in WHS other than enforcing some license in a context that i would probably never see in my home with it's 3-5 PCs

-turning it off will have NO EFFECT on any of the capabilities or features of WHS

- no one on this forum has experience an issue or loss of function by turning it off.  (pls speak up if not true here!)

Correct?  

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:33 PM