XP Pro - Windows Licence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I recently had a server and I choose XP Pro SP2 as the OS, so I bought a OEM version of XP Pro SP2 from a genuine UK shop. Everything worked great no issues I have never used the product key for any other PC.

I had to change the server to a different box due to an issue, the company offers 2 different types of Windows XP Pro, which I have listed below

Windows XP Professional Edition Sp2 Vol En

Windows XP Professional Edition Sp2 FPP En

When I install either version on the server it ask for a windows licence, I have been using the product key I have available and it keeps rejecting it.

What am I doing wrong or is the current product key I have available not compatible with the 2 OS's above

Can you please advise what I can do next

Many thanks

Ian

Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:07 PM

Answers

• Ian9999,

As you have seen, the Product Key for an OEM license for XP Pro will not work with Volume Licensing media nor with Full Packaged Product (aka full retail) media.

Please note that the End User Licensing Agreement for OEM licenses for XP Pro do NOT allow you to move the license from the computer onto which the license was first installed.  If there is a technical issue with the old server box, the box can be repaired and the OEM license can still be used with it, but the OEM license cannot be moved to a new or different box.

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:26 PM