none
Having a problem using an Access 2003 database on a Windows 2012 Server

Question

• We have an old application developed in Visual Basic 6.0 with an Access 2003 database.  We have recently migrated the application from a D-link data server to a new Windows Server 2012.  At first everything seemed OK, but then the application began running erratically slower, till after about two weeks it was unusable.  I have found various "fixes" for the problem which seem to have worked for some people and not for others.  We temporarily resolved the problem by rebooting the server but do not anticipate that will be a permanent solution.

The one fix that would apparently work, to update the database to at least Access 2007, is not available to us as we would then have to rewrite our application and we cannot afford to do that. 

What I am considering doing now is moving the database to a different platform while leaving the application on the network server (Server 2012). 

In the course of researching the server problem, I encountered some suggestions that Windows 8 is incompatible with Access 2003.  We have one Windows 8 desktop, one XP and the rest are Windows 7. 

I would be interested in people's opinions as to whether moving the database might solve the problem and also whether the Windows 8 machine might be contributing to the problem.

LouatMonaco

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:39 PM

Answers

All replies