Can I use OEM, Refurbished, Branded or another version of Windows XP Pro without violating licensing? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any version of Windows XP Pro that I can legally use other than a full retail version?  I am a home user and I want to install this on a used computer with a clean hard drive so I can not use an upgrade version.  There are many versions of this software for sale online including OEM, Refurbished, Branded and Academic.  The sellers all swear that their version does not violate licensing.  In some situations they offer the hard drive the software was originally installed on and claim this puts the product within the guidelines of the licensing.  However, Microsoft live chat has informed me that none of these versions are licensed for my installation.  Live chat has also informed me that it is illegal to transfer a copy of the full retail version to another user, something I now know to be misinformation.  So with live chat giving me false information and all of the sellers giving me their interpretation of the licensing I am stuck in a situation where I do not know what is true and what is not.  All I want to do is install a legal copy of the software on my computer and be done with it.  I don't need product support and it doesn't matter to me what the product looks like or who manufactured it, as long as it is legal and will pass WGA validation.  Does anyone know which products I can use?  Is there perhaps a list of SKU numbers I can refer to when looking for a legal version, or another way to identify which versions are licensed for me to use?  Thank you.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• OEM System Builder licenses are a bit of a grey area - the technical reading is that it must be installed for sale to a third party, using the proper pre-installation kit.

Branded copies are illegal at all times when not already installed in the appropriate machine with the COA sticker affixed by the manufacturer.

Academic versions require that you are a member of an appropriate defined academic institution (either as student or staff),

Refurbishers licenses are in effect Branded copies, as I understand it - and should not be sold separately.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:39 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, over 50% of the online sellers of Windows XP are selling counterfeit or pirated software.  One cannot determine if the software is genuine or not unless it is actually installed and an MGA Report obtained.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Carey.  Assuming the software is not pirated, I still need to know if I can install an OEM, Branded, Academic or refurbished version of this software without violating licensing.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:32 PM
  • OEM System Builder licenses are a bit of a grey area - the technical reading is that it must be installed for sale to a third party, using the proper pre-installation kit.

Branded copies are illegal at all times when not already installed in the appropriate machine with the COA sticker affixed by the manufacturer.

Academic versions require that you are a member of an appropriate defined academic institution (either as student or staff),

Refurbishers licenses are in effect Branded copies, as I understand it - and should not be sold separately.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:39 AM
  • So a Microsoft OEM version would be legal for me to use, as long as there is no other branding on the product (Dell, Gateway, etc)?
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Yes - and providing it hasn't been activated on any other system.

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:59 PM