Drive not added after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I have just reinstalled my WHS.
    As you can see from the screenshot one of the drives from the pool is now listed as Not Added.

[URL=http://img99.imageshack.us/i/whs1.jpg/][IMG]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6624/whs1.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

When I rebooted after installing the AHCI drivers one drive did not show in the console - looking in computer management I noticed it was there but had no file system. After a reboot this was resolved - Drive then become visible in the console (Although Not Added status..)

Any advice?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:19 PM

Answers

• The only way to get the drive eventually added again is to try another server reinstall.
    If this does not work for you (and you have no backup), you should read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure before trying anything else.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:20 PM

All replies

• If the drive had no file system any more, this may have be the reason for the issues which lead to the server reinstall and for it not being added (since no valid information could be detected on it).
    If the disk has indeed troubles, it should no longer be used in the server.

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Hi Olaf, I think this was just a blip as the drive is showing fine with a file system etc.

I can browse the drive via explorer, I can see the data etc.
    It seems it has just been kicked out of the pool - How do I add it back? (Without losing the 1TB of data?)

Thanks.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:41 PM
  • As a side note, I'm recieving "Windows Home Server Preserver Service" errors on start up which I assume is relating to the missing drive.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Under C:\Fs I have:

V
    X

No 4th mount.

I have tried removing the assigned drive letter via computer management - drive obviously no longer shows under explorer but still showing as not added by WHS Console.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • The only way to get the drive eventually added again is to try another server reinstall.
    If this does not work for you (and you have no backup), you should read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure before trying anything else.
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I will attempt another reinstall this evening.
    I can pull the data off of the drive but do not have any spare storage with that capacity.

Thanks,
    Alan.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Reinstalling WHS resolved this - all drives are now attached to the pool.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 8:34 AM