WHS says Disks are "healthy" but error logs show "bad block" error every 2 seconds? RRS feed

• Question

• I also received a "IDE channnel 2 Master Hard Drive SMART status bad", when I boot up.  I have two new Seagate 500 gb SATA 2 drives.   My bad block errors are on "harddrive 1" but I'm not sure which drive is number 1 (since sometimes there are drive 0).  I ran chkdsk on drive C  (20gigs) and drive D but found no errors.  I think one of my hard drives is bad, but not sure which, and hwy WHS says everything is fine.  The error log shocked me, 20,000 entries (lol)  not sure  what the problem is?
    Any ideas how to figure out which drive is bad, if any?
    Thanks
    Gary  (Salisbury, MD)
    MB: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM
    AMD A64 2X 4000+ 2.1 G  (AM2)

PS    Downloaded DOS tools from Seagte...it tell which drive has SMART errors. To be sure I replace the right one the software lists serial number.

BIG question: how do I backup my C drive?  so I can replace it?

FOLLOW-UP: Ran Seagate "Seatools for DOS" on both drives. Short test showed errors on BOTH drives.  Long test showed Hard Drive 0 was OK,and Hard Drive 1 had over 200 errors.Seatools fixed errors but they reappeared as soon as I checked WHS error log (more bad block errors).   I called Seagate. They said hard drive 1 (the second drive) was abolutely bad!  They also said that the IDE controller 2 hard drive SMART error was actually my first hard drive.  We confirmed this by plugging it into my #4 SATA slot, and the error change to controller 5!  Seagate tech said that even though I ran Seatools long test 3 times and got no errors this drive would in all probability fail soon! 

SO both drives (brand new 500gb Seagate drives) are bad. 

I tried to "remove" (X) the second hard drive from the WHS explorer screen but it failed twice...so I just disconnected it and sent it RMA!  I'm going to hold on to the number one drive,cross my fingers, and use an external to back it up, before sending it off, as it appears to be working fine. Wish me luck.
    Now the "bad block" errors are gone but I ajm getting this:

Unexpected error 0x6 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Commit.dat: The handle is invalid. and

Client Backup server failed at d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145) and

Persistent Drive Letter Service failed: Starting service: No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

You get the idea!

Which I assume is because I disconnected the bad drive without being able to "remove"it!  

I think I might just have to reformate the first drive too and reinstall everything! 

Wish me luck!! Still think it is odd that WHS said the disks were both AOK!

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:22 AM

Answers

• Good luck!

I guess WHS, as other operating systems, just cannot check every possible item that might possibly be wrong with all the differing makes if drive.

If you want to back up your one and only drive, I would use something like TrueImage or similar, and just duplicate it. However, if you are getting error messages like the ones mentioned, you will still get them with a new C: drive, so if I were you, I would install two new disks and do a complete new install. You will have to activate by telephone, but when I did it, Microsoft didn't query it too much.

Colin

Monday, December 24, 2007 6:11 PM