Scan type ? and a request for feature RRS feed

• Question

• What type of scan is the Antivirus/Antimalware scan performing?  I see that each night its only scanning a little over 6,000 files in about 3-4 mins.  Is this some sort of quick scan?  Can a full scan be configured, I've not seen a way yet in the options.

Perhaps the full scan is only done during Tune-up ?  When I did a manual 'Tuneup' after first installing the WLOC Beta 2 I noted that 850,000 files or so were scanned.  I have a 80gig and a 20 gig drive on the system with very few applications/programs running on Vista Home Premium.

Is it possible that before the final release a link could be added to the main page without having to open the Options/Logging and manually requesting the logs? 

When I click the View Antivirus report - I get ' no issues found'.  I'd like to see at least the start/stop time and number of files scanned/skipped, more of a feel good thing I guess, without the hassle of opening the options and manually grabbing the log report.

Thanks in advance

Friday, August 3, 2007 7:52 PM

Answers

• You answered your own questions. Yes, it is a quick scan, checking the most common locations for infection. You cannot substitute a full scan. Yes, a full scan happens during a tune-up.

Thanks for the suggestion for more information on the last scan report. Perhaps a way that they could do it would be to present the report as it is now - high level summary and a link *in* the report to display a detailed scan report.

-steve

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:47 AM

All replies

• You answered your own questions. Yes, it is a quick scan, checking the most common locations for infection. You cannot substitute a full scan. Yes, a full scan happens during a tune-up.

Thanks for the suggestion for more information on the last scan report. Perhaps a way that they could do it would be to present the report as it is now - high level summary and a link *in* the report to display a detailed scan report.

-steve

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Actually, I believe that the daily 'quick' scan is actually scanning for all known malware in their normal 'operational' locations. The Full Scan simply adds scanning all files/folders on all drives, looking for possible installers or other downloaded or 'dropped' files that might contain a known infection.

In other words, any currently known infection should be detected by a quick scan, while a full scan might find those stored in new locations or simply lying dormant elsewhere on disk. Running a full scan daily would be very unlikely to find anything, since the real-time scan should have detected it when it was downloded to the drive. A full scan is really just a 'backup' scan in case something unknown got into the system before if was added to the detections. Even if this were to happen the malware should be detected by the real-time scanner before Windows executes the file.

OneCareBear

Sunday, August 5, 2007 4:33 AM