500GB STORAGE DRIVE REPORTS 3GB FREE on ALL SHARES TO MY MAC RRS feed

• Question

• Having installed Vail on my trusty home server.   500GB Server has a single shared drive 454GB free storage space as 

local console shows.  However when I connect to it from my MAC OSX 10.6  smb://IP ADDRESS/, enter my user credentials/

The reported free space shows only 3.01 GB on ANY of the Connected Shares

What makes Vail Completely Useless as I cant copy any files to it..

Suggestions Please

?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• There is a known bug which impacts both MACs and XPs. We are working on a fix.

thanks,

Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:15 PM

All replies

• It looks to be an issue in your environment, since I don't see similar behavior in mine using Windows. Can you please report a bug on Connect in case it's something the team can change?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:10 PM
  • There is a known bug which impacts both MACs and XPs. We are working on a fix.

thanks,

Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:15 PM
  • will that be a patch that is provided via windows update?  because its a complete show stopper for testing in my labs with 80+macs

Also considering in have 200+ windows xp machines its also STOPPING from my testing it.  heh its a beta, 

but it should at least share files :) 

ps: love the work you guys have done on it. its quite nice overall.. thanks for the hard work. 

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:07 PM
  • FeiXM

I’m sorry to hear this impacts your testing, realistically speaking I don’t believe we will be able to send an update for this issue as most likely it will involve updating a kernel mode driver which requires a large amount of re-testing with each change.

Thanks,

This post is provided AS IS and confers no rights. Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Mark,

I am guessing this means we are going to have to wait for the next beta release? I have exactly the same issue on my Mac too. I am getting around it for now by running Windows 7 in a VM using Parallels and so can transfer large files this way but its not ideal.

Apart from this I have to say its a great update and a pretty solid beta so have already replaced my WHSv1 server with Vail.

Thanks

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Mark,

I am guessing this means we are going to have to wait for the next beta release? I have exactly the same issue on my Mac too. I am getting around it for now by running Windows 7 in a VM using Parallels and so can transfer large files this way but its not ideal.

Apart from this I have to say its a great update and a pretty solid beta so have already replaced my WHSv1 server with Vail.

Thanks

Replacing v1 with Vail at this point is not recommended.  As noted in the announcements in this forum, this is a beta product and should not be used in a production environment.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Replacing v1 with Vail at this point is not recommended.  As noted in the announcements in this forum, this is a beta product and should not be used in a production environment.
    Understood of course and all risks taken are my own...
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Let me put this a little differently than kariya21 did: Please don't place your only copy of any important, irreplaceable files on your Vail server. If you do, you are taking a risk that you will lose those files permanently at some point, whether it be through a bug in the product or user error.

I will be putting my Vail server into production (in defiance of my own strong warning not to do this) when I can get more storage for it (a few days, I hope), but I will not have my only copy of anything on it. My HP MediaSmart server will continue to contain a copy of everything on my Vail server, and will have locked backups of every computer joined to it. Among other things, this will facilitate repopulating my Vail server if something corrupts it irretrievably and I have to start from scratch. Which I expect to do.

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:12 PM
  • For the record, I keep the master copy of my data on my HP Media Smart server as well.  Vail runs a scheduled Robocopy task in the evenings to copy data over my network from the master Media Smart to the Vail box.  I use the Vail box daily...  if I want the data immediately, I just right-click the schedule task and choose RUN and it runs one-off....

But yes, data on Vail is not considered safe during the beta.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:04c3877c-d93d-4bd1-9f25-3c2c4d91942b...

Let me put this a little differently than kariya21 did: Please don't place your only copy of any important, irreplaceable files on your Vail server. If you do, you are taking a risk that you will lose those files permanently at some point, whether it be through a bug in the product or user error.

I will be putting my Vail server into production (in defiance of my own strong warning not to do this) when I can get more storage for it (a few days, I hope), but I will not have my only copy of anything on it. My HP MediaSmart server will continue to contain a copy of everything on my Vail server, and will have locked backups of every computer joined to it. Among other things, this will facilitate repopulating my Vail server if something corrupts it irretrievably and I have to start from scratch. Which I expect to do.

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:53 PM