none
Moderators marking threads as answered

Question

• Hi,

I'm not sure how to handle this issue.  I posted a question in another forum.  I received a response from a poster who was nice enough to chime in on my issue.  Bottom line is that the question really never got answered, although the other poster acknowledged that he was able to repeat my problem so it wasn't just something on my system.  However, a moderator (I guess that who he/she was) marked one of the messages of this other poster as "Answer" when it wasn't the answer.

Shouldn't the person who initially posted the question (started the thread) determine and mark the applicable message as an answer?  I can understand if a question was answered and the OP either forgot or just didn't take the time to mark a message as Answer, and the forum moderator had to do it.

There was no option for me to "unmark" the marked answer.  And I didn't want to post a message and publicly challenge the moderator.  So ... has this happened to anyone else?  What should I do in a situation like this?  I guess I'd prefer the thread be kept marked as "Unanswered" so that maybe somebody will still come along and have an answer.

Thanks,
    Greg

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Greg,
    If you are the thread starter there should be an option to "UnMark as Answer" make sure you are logged in.

Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    • Marked as answer by GregVance Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:38 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Just to add a little bit, and explain some of the guidance we give to forum owners and moderators, your initial assertion that the person who asked the question should be the one to mark it as the answer is absolutely correct!  That's one of the behaviors we want to drive most.  That said, in many cases the original poster never comes back so we let moderators mark things that are clearly the answer appropriately.  Obviously whenever humans are involved there will be cases where it doesn't work out.

Which is exactly your situation, you came back and decided the answer that was marked didn't solve your problem.  In that case I always ask forum owners and moderators to respect the original poster's decision and not re-mark that post as the answer again.  At the end of the day you're the final judge of whether or not your problem was solved by the information provided.

-Jeremy
    Jeremy Kelley
    • Marked as answer by GregVance Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:26 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,
    If you are the thread starter there should be an option to "UnMark as Answer" make sure you are logged in.

Sam Jarawan Social Platform Forums - Senior Development Lead
    • Marked as answer by GregVance Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:38 PM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Hey Sam,

I had looked for an option of "Unmark as Answer" and couldn't find it.  I must not have been logged on as you suggested.  I just checked the thread after logging on, and found the unmark option, which I clicked.

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Greg

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Just to add a little bit, and explain some of the guidance we give to forum owners and moderators, your initial assertion that the person who asked the question should be the one to mark it as the answer is absolutely correct!  That's one of the behaviors we want to drive most.  That said, in many cases the original poster never comes back so we let moderators mark things that are clearly the answer appropriately.  Obviously whenever humans are involved there will be cases where it doesn't work out.

Which is exactly your situation, you came back and decided the answer that was marked didn't solve your problem.  In that case I always ask forum owners and moderators to respect the original poster's decision and not re-mark that post as the answer again.  At the end of the day you're the final judge of whether or not your problem was solved by the information provided.

-Jeremy
    Jeremy Kelley
    • Marked as answer by GregVance Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:26 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2008 10:13 PM
  •  Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  What you said makes sense.  I have to admit I was reluctant to unmark it as the answer in fear of offending the moderator.  But I got over it.

Thanks,
    Greg

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:32 AM