new Vail "Refresh" due in January? RRS feed

• Question

• Just received e-mail from MSFT re: OPK for the new SBS 2011. With all the talk of unifying the feature base for the three specialized SOHO server products (see WHS blog), the fact that SBS 2011 is basically ready for RTM would suggest that Vail (or WHS 2011) should be as well, right? Or at least that a beta "refresh" is imminent?

Anyone have any word on an update due out in the coming days?

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• All I know is that the current beta will expire in about a week.  No official word about another beta or not.  I for one do not think Vail is ready from what I have seen on the current beta.  However getting rid of DE will probably mean less drive performance related issues.  Maybe that will fix the slow performance I am seeing with Vail Beta 2.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 12:04 AM
  • [Just received e-mail from MSFT re: OPK for the new SBS 2011. With all the
    talk of unifying the feature base for the three specialized SOHO server
    products (see WHS blog), the fact that SBS 2011 is basically ready for RTM
    would suggest that Vail (or WHS 2011) should be as well, right? Or at least
    that a beta "refresh" is imminent?]

I believe we're working on the Vail beta "refresh" now. And, quite frankly,
    there's no way I'd be inclined to think Vail is ready for RTM.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:05 PM
  • And, quite frankly,
    there's no way I'd be inclined to think Vail is ready for RTM.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward

I agree, and evidently its only SBS 7 (a/k/a SBS 2011 Standard) that's RTM, and Aurora (a/k/a SBS 2011 Essentials) is still hanging back w/ Vail in beta.

I just don't understand why we have to rely on so much guess work and conjecture, rather than timely and regular notifications from MSFT. For instance, the Connect site was just updated:

Public Preview

A new Public Preview of Windows Home Server code name "Vail" Public Preview will be available soon!

That's the first official word of another beta release for Vail since an obscure (and indefinite) one-liner from the WHS blog back in November. Would it kill them to fire off an e-mail or two, something to the effect of "We know your beta license is set to expire, don't worry we'll have a new release to you by 1/10/2011!" Maybe it would, who knows.

I guess the next question will be whether or not the new release adds or improves any features or capabilities, beyond simply stripping DE.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Spoke too soon! Evidently, the current beta expires on 1/10, but the next release won't be offered for 4-6 weeks! Oh well, gives me time to reconfigure the storage on my box, which was set up specifically to test DE.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:18 PM
  • On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:14:56 +0000, DreilingStL wrote:

Would it kill them to fire off an e-mail or two, something to the effect of "We know your beta license is set to expire, don't worry we'll have a new release to you by 1/10/2011!" Maybe it would, who knows.

And there won't be according to the post from Jonas that was posted about
    16 minutes before this one.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    Another megabytes the dust.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:26 PM