Error message RRS feed

• Question

• Ive used PP1 beta for a week now without incedent then all of a sudden I started receiving the following message when trying to connect with WHS console connector (both on client and server):

""

The Windows Home Server Console cannot open because the following file is blocking it:

HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll.

Do you want to open the console without this file?

If you click yes the console will start without a feature that is associated with this file. If you click no, the console will try to open again with this file.

YES   NO

""

I have to click yes to open the console and am therefore missing the share tab.

Is there any easy way to fix this.. perhaps the Dll got corrupt somehow.... where is this dll located?

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:03 AM

Answers

• Like some trained robot, everytime I got either one of these error messages I clicked the "yes" choice because I assumed if I hit "no" it either wouldn't work or I would get the same message. Well, this time because I'm real brave I hit 'No" !

It took a little while to get into the Console but it got in without any error messages and all my icons are back in "Settings" again. The problem has not re-occurred.

I also installed  PP1 1776  later in the day and the error message problem still seems gone.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Yep, same thing for me.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:26 PM

All replies

• PLEASE file a bug before you poke around and attempt to fix it ....

PLEASE include the logs for your home server !!

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Friday, June 20, 2008 1:06 AM
  • bug report has been done with cab numbers. Wasnt sure it was a bug or rather an isolated issue. Any help on fixing the issue from this forum would be appreciated.

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:24 AM
  • I have this problem as well. It started doing the same thing and with the same message yesterday. I've had PP1 in about a week.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 3:40 AM
  • I still have the initial error message of this forum string but now have an additional one after that. It reads the same but with a new .dll file, HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll

I also noticed if I go in the console it shows no problems, as well as Toolkit troubleshooting.

This happens on all my 4 computers (Vista 32 and 64, XP Pro and Home) so it's in the server. I can't pinpoint when it happened but it could be when I installed PP1 or shortly thereafter.

Also, I now have icons missing in the left column in Console/Settings. For example my Remote and Toolkit icons are gone !

I still seem to be backing up my computers every night fine and WHS Taskbar icon is Green.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Like some trained robot, everytime I got either one of these error messages I clicked the "yes" choice because I assumed if I hit "no" it either wouldn't work or I would get the same message. Well, this time because I'm real brave I hit 'No" !

It took a little while to get into the Console but it got in without any error messages and all my icons are back in "Settings" again. The problem has not re-occurred.

I also installed  PP1 1776  later in the day and the error message problem still seems gone.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Yep, same thing for me.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:26 PM
  • The same thing happened to me, but it was a diferente dll file, am i also hit "Yes"

After the console opened everything seemed ok, but it took a while to open.

I believe this type of errors are related to the add-in's. in my case i started getting errors only after installing autoexit2008 r2 and disk managment  add-in.

When i just had sp1 beta installed i had no issues of this sort.

I will sent a bug report later tomorrow.

#update.

I went to microsoft connect to write my feedback when i found that this same bug had been closed. The ID is 350174.

The workaround described consists in uninstalling the PP1 beta and reinstalling it.

I'm going to try it myself and see if it works.

- My blocked file is homeserverconsoletab.health.dll

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:07 AM