[SOLVED] Cannot install Connector software. Error regarding "Another installation is in progress".

Question

• After a successful install of Windows Home Server 2011 RC, everything is updated and I'm feeling good about things. I go to my client machine and, in a browser, I type http://<servername>/Connector. I download the connector software from the server and I run it as an administrator. After clicking on 'Next' I receive the following error:

"Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect again."

I have restarted both my server as well as my client machine, but the error continues to come up. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on my client machine. I have no updates or restarts pending on either machine. I can RDP to my server just fine and access it like everything is great. I just can't get this Connector software to get going.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Update/Solution: For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key.  Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag.  This is what setup is detecting.

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

• Edited by djwunder Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:51 PM
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 12:53 AM

Answers

• Update/Solution: For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key.  Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag.  This is what setup is detecting.

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

• Marked as answer by djwunder Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:52 PM
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:52 PM

All replies

• I just had the same issue. Once i restarted my clients a second time, BAM.. worked like a charm. hope that works for you as well.
    Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 & 2010 / server 2k8 / forefront / MDOP / Win 7 MCITP: Vista / server 2k8 / Exchange 2k7 & 2010 Twitter - @csolarz FB - Http://www.facebook.com/csolarz linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/chadsolarz
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:49 AM
  • I wish that worked. I just tried rebooting both my client PC and the server and it didn't work.  I'm absolutely baffled as to what could be causing this.
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Any possible / available updates for either your clients or the server?
    Chad Solarz Sr. Tech Instructor Directions Training MCSA / MCSE / MCDST / MCT MCTS: Vista / exch 2k7 & 2010 / server 2k8 / forefront / MDOP / Win 7 MCITP: Vista / server 2k8 / Exchange 2k7 & 2010 Twitter - @csolarz FB - Http://www.facebook.com/csolarz linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/chadsolarz
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:45 AM
  • @djwunder  Do you have another connector active on that client?

I had the same experiance yesterday trying to install the connector on my Win7 Ult. client wich also has a WHSv1 connector installed.

I then tried to install on another (virtual)machine wich had no connector to the old server and that went fine.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 1:58 PM
  • @djwunder I am being driven mad by the exact same error, I did have the connector installed from WHSv1 but not when it went to vail.

Any suggestions where else to look, I had wanted to use the Windows installer cleanup but its been removed, I have checked the process and cannot find any installs happening - I am at a loss.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have removed the WHSv1 connector reboot and then i tried to install the connector for the WHS 2011. I receive the same message as "@djwunder". The Remote Desktop Connection is working.I have reboot the server and the client several times, still the same problem.

Client: Windows 7 Pro with Windows Virtual PC installed and running Windows XP mode.

Any solutions?

Mimis
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:57 PM
  • @djwunder  Do you have another connector active on that client?

I had the same experiance yesterday trying to install the connector on my Win7 Ult. client wich also has a WHSv1 connector installed.

I then tried to install on another (virtual)machine wich had no connector to the old server and that went fine.

Unfortunately I have no other connectors installed on this machine. I've reformatted since having WHSv1 in the past.

Not sure what the issue is here, but apparently it's happening to more than just me.

@Chad Solarz: I've checked for any possible updates and/or reasons for reboot, and there's nothing. I even checked the Windows Installer Service to see if that was messing up on me, but that's not the cause either I think.

I'm just truly at a loss here. The server seems to work fine, I just can't install connector software whatsoever. :\

Saturday, February 05, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi djwunder,

Would you be able to file a connect bug on this issue and include any logs that were generated?

The link to the feedback form is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=4229&FeedbackType=1

A link to how to collect logs is below:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=30652

Thanks!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:04 PM
    Owner
  • Here's an update: I was able to successfully install the connector on a laptop that's also on the network. That installed without any issues whatsoever. Still no-go with my desktop machine though. Still getting the message that there's an installation or restart pending.

There must be something I'm missing somewhere.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I saw this twice, but was able to resolve easily.

Rebooted the client.

uninstalled WHS connector

rebooted AGAIN

reinstalled.

Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:12 PM
  • I saw this twice, but was able to resolve easily.

Rebooted the client.

uninstalled WHS connector

rebooted AGAIN

reinstalled.

I'm glad that worked for you. In a previous entry though I've stated that I don't have any current WHS connector software installed on this machine. I'd love if that were the case for me, but unfortunately it isn't. I'm not sure what could be holding up my computer at this point. I might need to do some digging through the registry?
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Update/Solution: For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

1. Open Regedit

• Marked as answer by djwunder Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:52 PM
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:52 PM
  • It worked for me.

Thank you djwunder

Mimis
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Worked for me - thanks for that.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:03 AM
  • When I recieved this warning, I rebooted the computer, afterwhich the connector installed without problem.

Rufus Roper

Rufus Roper
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I had an issue with the connector on the client when WHS 2011 was first installed, the client was always stating that there was a "reboot" or something that had to be done first. I rebooted the client and didn't have the issue after that, installed right away.

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Yeah I would warn people not to do this fix without first simply restarting their client pc.
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 4:32 PM
  • @djwunder Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medalsyour suggestion/work around was the right way to go thx for the tip.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 8:12 PM
  • thanks dj this led me to the fix for the same error I was getting.  It was a Logitech webcam dll that was trying to load from the windows/temp folder.  I no longer had this camera on this box so uninstalled the software and the connector installed fine.  I found the problem dll by going to the registry location you mentioned.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Thanks, this was error was really getting to me.  I'd installed the connector on two other machines without a problem, but my main desktop PC just kept displaying this error after multiple reboots.

Below was the value in that key:  

\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj03.dll

\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\

\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj04.dll

\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\logishrd\

This logitech dll also looks appears to be the cause of my problem.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Bryan I believe that is the same file I was seeing.  I just uninstalled the Webcam software and Connector ran fine.
    • Proposed as answer by devel1988 Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Uninstalling Logitech Webcam resolved my issues as well.

This should probably be reported as a bug by someone...how do you do that?

Mel Lukens
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:37 PM
  • The fix worked on my MCE 05 machone also, but had to serach for the PendingFileRenameOperations parameter, then renamed.  Good fix!
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Had the same problem and did that.  As it didn't work, I compared this registry key to another machine where the installation worked.  The key wasn't there.  So, I deleted the PendingFileRenameOperations and it worked.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:48 PM
  • I've just installed WHS 2011, ran into this problem and found your solution and it works. Thanks for that!

A genius programmer from Logitech causes the problem:

At start of the LWS.exe (Logitech Webcam Software), two dll were copied from the logitec-folders into a temp-folder (addressed by the user-variable "temps") named "logishrd" and were renamed:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcInj.dll  -->  LVPrcInj01
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcInj.dll  -->  LVPrcInj02

(It seemed to be a 32 and a 64 bit version).

At the first start of LWS.exe, the registry entry "PendingFileRenameOperations" was set to

\??\T:\TMPS\logishrd\LVPrcInj01.dll
    \??\T:\TMPS\logishrd\
    \??\T:\TMPS\logishrd\LVPrcInj02.dll

After the second (and further) start(s), the logishrd-folder contains 4 dlls: LVPrcInj01/02/03/04 and the "PendingFileRenameOperations" was set to:

\??\T:\TMPS\logishrd\LVPrcInj03.dll
    \??\T:\TMPS\logishrd\LVPrcInj04.dll

Now we have an "infinite loop" and that's the reason, why uninstalling Logitech Webcam Software resolves the problem too.

BTW: The processes LWS.exe AND sidebar.exe must be stopped, if you want to delete LVPrcInj01/02/03/04 from the temp-library.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:56 PM