WHS 2011 BootMGR Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I screwed up and I need help.

In an effort to make a partition correction to my WHS 2011 Server I ended up with the BootMGR is missing error and it won't start.  Yes, I can restore it to yesterday and it starts up just fine, but the core problem remains.  The problem is the "active" partition is NOT the sys drive and when I need to replace the "active" drive down the road I'm screwed.  So I'd like to make my Drive 0, the sys drive, "active".  Doing so ends up with BootMGR is missing. 

Mobo is the ASUS 990FX, AMD 965, 16GB DDR3 (8 active as limited by the OS). Drive 0 is C & D, a partitioned 256GB Samsung SSD, ACHI SATA III.  Trim Enabled. Smokin fast. Drive 1 is a WD 1TB 1001FAES, D2 is a 1TB WD1001FALS, D3 is a 2TB WD2002FAEX and the external backup is connected to the JBOD Bus 0 eSata and it is a WD20EARX.

Drive 3, the 2TB drive unknowingly had the partition set "active" from being used in the previous WHS v1 setup.  I discovered this problem when I pooled the drives in Drive Bender and decided to replace that drive, leaving the system without an "active" partitioned drive.  So I used the administrator tool and made my C: drive (the SSD) active, and went through the dos process of making Drive 3 "inactive" but leaving it partitioned and formatted and it remains part of the Drive Bender Pool.

So how do I correct the BootMGR missing error without going through the process of reformatting my SSD?  Is it possible?  I've ejected all of the other drives from the server and have the SSD there alone as Drive C&D.  Can I make a BootMGR correction on C: and retain all of the Drive Bender and Bitdefender programs I have installed without completely reformatting the system drives?

HELP!!  Thanks!

Don Francis

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:54 AM

Answers

• Problem solved:  My local Radio Shack has a team of experts that make the Geek Squad look like a bunch of Girl Scouts.  They solved my problem in less than 2 hours.  What they did?  I donno.

The next problem I'm having is with the backup service - I'll open a new thread for that one though.

Thanks for all the help!  I knew it was a better bet to let the experts reset the OS or partition (or whatever) than risk screwing it up and losing everything fiddling with it myself too much.

Don

• Marked as answer by RET60SP Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:35 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:35 PM

All replies

• this is very easy to fix

step 1 copy bootmgr to windows drive

step 2 download bootice or hirenbootcd

step 3 open bootice

step 4 open bcd or create one should be in c:\boot\bcd and choose windows type start hardrive for windows

step 5 create bootsector choose windows nt 6 for vista and up windows nt5 for 2000 and up

or choose wee boot make it look like this

find --set-root /HBCD/grldr
    /HBCD/grldr
    find --set-root --active
    find --set-root /bootmgr
    /bootmgr
    find --set-root /ntldr
    /ntldr
    find --set-root /boot/grub/grldr
    /boot/grub/grldr
    find --set-root /boot/grub.exe
    /boot/grub.exe
    find --set-root /boot/grldr
    /boot/grldr
    find --set-root /grub.exe
    /grub.exe
    find --set-root /grldr
    /grldr
    find --set-root /boot/grub/plpbt.bin
    /boot/grub/plpbt.bin
    find --set-root /vbootldr
    /vbootldr
    find --set-root /buldr
    /buldr

Choose save to disk and reboot choose hd to search all hd for first file to start system

also if bootmgr is compresed or color blue rigth click choose dont compress this file and if bootmgr is in file name Bootmgr it have to be the same in weeboot

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I have the WHS 2011 Sys C: & D: SSD in a drive caddy and it is completely ejectable.  I have another computer running Win7 Ultimate 64 and it has a vacant caddy available.  Is there any way to take this SSD to the Win7 system and perform this task?  If yes, how do I accomplish correcting the missing BootMGR?

Monday, September 3, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following Microsoft KB article for how to troubleshoot the Bootmgr missing issue.

Windows Error message "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2622803

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  The problem I'm having is with my WHS 2011 system.  The reference article does not include WHS 2011:

Article ID: 2622803 - Last Review: May 16, 2012 - Revision: 8.0
    APPLIES TO
    • Windows Vista Starter
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 7 Home Basic
    • Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows 7 Enterprise
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows 7 Ultimatate

Please notice that WHS2011 is not included in the list of supported OS's.  Now if someone knows with the upmose certainty that I can use one of my Windows 7 Ultimate installation disks to fix the BootMGR problem on my WHS2011 C: drive, please let me know.  I'm not inclined to experiment with this option for fear that I'll lose my WHS2011 setup completely.

Thanks!

Don

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Sure it isn't included, but since Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Home Server 2011 share the same codebase, the article is also correct for that OS.

Should work also with the Windows 7 64Bit DVD to recover/rebuild the boot manager.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Olaf,

I miss Germany.  Two tours in the US Army, first in Stuttgart 1981-82, then again in Nuernberg, 1985-89.  I loved how everything is green all year long.  Reminds me or Portland/Seattle.  I miss the beer most of all and I have managed to find a supplu of Zeisner Curry Ketchup through the commissary - I typicaslly order it by the case once a year.  Last years supply came from the commissary in Puerto Rico while I was on vacation, and this year I got the folks on Camp Merrill to order my continuing needy supply. 

Back to business: I'm uncomfortable with just plopping in the Win7 installation disk without first knowing what menu prompts to choose to repair the missing BootMBR on a WHS2011 system drive.  Can you walk me through what to look for and what selections to make?  I don't want to accidently overwrite or create a dual boot disk.

So what do I do?

Don

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:49 PM
  • I have the OEM WHS 2011 installation and preinstallation disks, along with Win7 Installation disks.  The WHS2011 disk does not find a WHS 2011 system disk at all and it does not offer a "repair" or "startup repair" function.  The WIN7 disk finds the WHS2011 OS installed and offers to erase it and replace it with WIN7.  Odd.  One not being like the other.

So I need some hand holding here to get this mess back up and running.  You guys say its easy, and maybe it is.  But I'm not seeing the easy menu option to "repair" or "startup repair". 

Help!

Don

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Hi Don,

Arthur linked an KB article, referring to the usage of the bootrec command line tool.

bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuild could be the tool of your choice.

Eventually you may need to set the partition active using diskpart, command sequence similar to

diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    active
    exit

This would be the only way I see to perform what you need, not any GUI based tool.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Problem solved:  My local Radio Shack has a team of experts that make the Geek Squad look like a bunch of Girl Scouts.  They solved my problem in less than 2 hours.  What they did?  I donno.

The next problem I'm having is with the backup service - I'll open a new thread for that one though.

Thanks for all the help!  I knew it was a better bet to let the experts reset the OS or partition (or whatever) than risk screwing it up and losing everything fiddling with it myself too much.

Don

• Marked as answer by RET60SP Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:35 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Understand this has been marked as Answered, however the answer of taking equipment to someone else didn't help me. I've just managed to resolve issue fairly simply and want to share solution.

The Microsoft KB article below explains how to address. It is referenced for another version other than WHS but steps are the same. I used a Windows 7 Pro install disk to boot into the recovery area and into command prompt. Instructions in link are clear and provide screenshots.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2501318

Friday, April 22, 2016 11:57 PM