Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VK76F-74KVM-CY4XD
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5oVgK9Tz3xxLliOrByM8MWbADdg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2250775-92917
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro
    ID: {35B42162-FCFA-4264-B2D2-6CBEB11239DC}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{35B42162-FCFA-4264-B2D2-6CBEB11239DC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CY4XD</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2250775-92917</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-861567501-879983540-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1009.003</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050905******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>39BB300701846062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1493B:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

After 4 or 5 years I had to re-install Windows on a machine without making any hardware changes. The machine was build by a local business that no longer exists. I am staring right at the sticker that says the product key yet when I try to activate it, it says that the key is un-authorized. Tried to authorize via telephone, they told me to call 800-936-5700 (tech support?) After spending 1.5 hours on the phone, I was told a lot of things like:

You can only install this version once and cannot do a re-installation (Huh?).

You have to call the computer manufacturer and they will give you another key (again huh? – every time you re-install you need a new key?).

Microsoft does not provide free tech support for this product and I will have to pay $59 for tech support to resolve this issue (how is activating Windows a tech support issue?)

And finally:

You have to call the activation department and they will activate it (Catch 22)

Just for a good measure, I tried to activate over the phone again and again they said call the tech support people.

How to activate this product?

Friday, October 23, 2009 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hello Aacd,

Per our conversation over email, the issue with that Product Key should be resolved and I'm going to mark this thread as Answered.

However, you mentioned that you would test out the fix over this weekend, so if you still have issues, please don't hesitate to create a new thread and we'll continue working from there.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hello Aacd,

Can you confirm that the portion of the product key reported above, *****-*****-VK76F-74KVM-CY4XD, matches the corresponding portion of the product key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer?  (Do not post the full product key.)

Does the CoA have "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU" and either "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed right below?

As for double-checking whether the product key is Genuine or not, the Microsoft moderator Darin Smith will have to do that for you.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Yes, the product key matches the COA.

The COA says "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU" "OEM Software" and it looks like every other COA I have seen. (If it makes any difference I think it was purchased from Newegg by the builder but I am not 100% sure of that)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Hello Aacd,

When you attempt to do an automatic online activation by starting the Activation Wizard, what is the exact text of the error message you encounter?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:26 PM
  • The first time, it says something that it cannot activate because the key is unauthorized and is asking me to enter the correct key (the fields are blank). Once I do that, it comes back to the same error, only this time the fields are filled with the correct key.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Hello Aacd,

Please open up a no-cost email WGA tech support request by starting at this link:  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860&st=1

Fill out the info needed, and when you receive an incident number/case number, please come back here and post it.

With that number, Darin Smith of MS who moderates this forum can look up your report and access private information such as the full product key and your contact info, that you would of course not want shown on a public forum.

It's unfortunate that you are getting a lot of conflicting information about your situation--hopefully Darin will be able to get to the bottom of it and provide a true answer.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, October 23, 2009 9:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Aacd Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:13 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Thanks again for your help.
    Support request number: 1115152179

I got as far as the screen that says: Run the Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool

When I try that I get: Sorry, the page you requested is not available.

Obviously this machine is not the one with the activation issue, but I was hoping to use a flash drive to run it on the other machine.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Here's the answer I got by opening a ticket. Still at a catch 22:

Hello Christos,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I understand that you are unable to re-activate Windows XP after re-installing it on the computer.

I recommend that you contact our Windows Activation Center for best assistance regarding the issue. You can contact them at (888) 571-2048. They are available 24 hours a day. 

Christos, I hope that the issue is resolved soon and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Ganga

Microsoft Customer Service Representative

Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Hello Aacd,

That's expected because technically WGA and Product Activation are separate programs and separate departments.

The idea here was to ask Darin Smith of MS to look up your report and double-check thru his sources whether your product key is Genuine or not.

Since Darin is an MSFT employee, the earliest he will be able to get to work on this topic is Monday, so we'll have to stand by unitl at least Tuesday.

If it turns out that the PK is not Genuine, then you would want to submit a counterfeit/priacy report and submit your materials for evaluation as hi-quality counterfeits and possible free replacement by Microsoft.

If it turns out that the PK is Genuine, then this process might be able to correct whatever is in the activation system that is preventing it from activation.

In the interim, please visit www.howtotell.com and compare the materials you have to the high-quality counterfeits shown to see if you can identify any of the tell-tale signs.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Hi Aacd,

I have been looking into this issue since Thursday, but I didn't post because I haven't had any concrete information.  Unfortunatly, I still don't, but I will fill you in on the current situation.

I ran your Diagnostic Report thru my tools and the Product Key is coming up as 'Blocked by Microsoft'. Meaning the Key is not allowed to Activate. Normally this is done when a key has been found to be leaked to the internet (but that's not the only reason it can happen) 

Since I have been unable to find any indication that the key had been leaked to the internet (internet search for VK76F-74KVM-CY4XD has returned no hits other then this forum) I have escalated to the Product Activation Dept asking for the reason the key was blocked.

I am currently awaiting a reply to the escalation.

Sorry this is taking some time, the wheels turn slowly at big companies, but we are getting close the bottom of the issue.

Thanks,
    Darin
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Hello Darin,

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Thanks Darin.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hi Aacd,

Good and Bad news. I just heard back from Product Activation.  

The Bad News is that the key was blocked back on 05/23/2006.  They don't have a record, from back then, as to why it was blocked.

The Good News is they do say that if you can provide a scan or picture of the Certificate of Authenticity (COA), we can have the key un-blocked. 

Please don't post the scan or picture here on the forum since anyone would be able to see the Product key listed on it

If you are able to provide a scan or picture,post and tell me, and we will make arrangments to get it to me without compromising the key.

Thanks,
    Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Let me know how I can get the scan to you

Thanks
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Hi Aacd,

Sorry for the wait, I lost your thread for a bit.

Now we can't have you post the scans to the thread because anyone could steal the Product Key and I can't post my microsoft email address because I will get massively spammed

So, I have created a temporary email address: wgadarin1@ hotmail .com (remove the spaces) Go ahead and send the scan to the address and I will pass it on the the Product Activation team so they can look into the issue.

Thank you,
    Darin mS

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Should be there

Thanks again
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Hello Aacd,

Glad to see this one is still alive....keep it fresh until we get a resolution one way or the other :-)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Hello Aacd,

Per our conversation over email, the issue with that Product Key should be resolved and I'm going to mark this thread as Answered.

However, you mentioned that you would test out the fix over this weekend, so if you still have issues, please don't hesitate to create a new thread and we'll continue working from there.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Hello Aacd and Darin,

Many thanx to Darin for his persistence in following this issue up for Aacd.  As Darin noted, the wheels turn slowly, but they do turn! :-)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:37 PM