KB949810 Breaks Office Applications RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am an OBA developer, so I have Office set to alert me when there is an add-in error at startup.  After installing KB949810, I receive numerous error dialogs after opening Office applications with the following info.

Title: Custom UI Runtime Error in Office Genuine Advantage Add-in

Error found in Custom UI XML of "Office Genuine Advantage Add-in":

I have screen shots and more details on my blog at http://andystechfun.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!16FB6442242CEAB7!7311.entry.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:29 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  I go to word options and remove the addin and go to excel option and remove the addin.  how do i remove the update when it isn't listed in installed updates under add/remove programs.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Exactly the same thing here, line for line.  I have gone into each MS app and disabled the add-in, appears to help temporarily.  No idea what will happen when another update comes out, though.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 5:27 PM
  • It seems that the add-in is continuously readding itself.  Even after removing the add-in, after I close the Office app and reopen it, it comes back, now.  I've seen this behavior before, but that was always in malware.

How do I uninstall this KB permanently?  Especially since I never should have received it in the first place.

Friday, April 18, 2008 12:29 PM
  • I have updated my original blog post with instructions for hiding the error message since there doesn't seem to be a good way of just getting rid of it.

The solution I originally posted ended up only being a temporary fix.  Now I receive the same error messages from OGAAddin.  If you're not a developer and want to hide the error messages, do the following:

1. Go into the application's Options (i.e. click the Office Button and select "Excel Options")
    2. Select "Advanced" from the navigation pane on the left.
    3. Find the "Show add-in user interface errors" checkbox and unselect it.
    4. Click the OK button.

I was also able to stop the error messages by deleting OGAAddin.dll, but I wouldn't recommend anyone do that.  It could lead to more problems.  Hopefully Microsoft will let us know soon how to uninstall this add-in that we never should have received.

Friday, April 18, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Friday, April 18, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Thanks, Paul!  Everything appears to be working without any error messages, now.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I'm having the same problem in the german version. Please provide a patch for german office too.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:02 AM
  •  Liebethal wrote:

I'm having the same problem in the german version. Please provide a patch for german office too.

We have not built or distributed a version in German.  Likely you have either the English or Spanish version.

Go to your Windows\system32 directory (SysWOW64 directoryif you are running 64 bit Windows) and find WGATray.exe.  Right click on the file and select properties.  Select the Details tab.  At the bottom, you will see "Language".  Install the update appropriate for the language you have installed.

If you were to install the wrong language update, however, there would very likely be no issues.  Any Notification messaging would simply appear in the lanuage you have installed.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:23 PM
  •  

Is not working for us. Have applied it on fresh reboot before opening product and rebooted. After installing it did try to install KB949810 again.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:02 PM
  • This solution does not work for us.  We have 2 people in a 70 person office who just had the OGA icon appear in the notification tray, and pop up a message when they try to run office.  Office has been on their computer for over 2 years.  It was purchased from Dell with the computer.  I need a solution that works now, before other computers in the network (4 other sites) start coming down with this issue.  I can not run around removing and reinstalling Office!  I need a real solutionl

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:32 PM
  •  Bkinnamon wrote:

Is not working for us. Have applied it on fresh reboot before opening product and rebooted. After installing it did try to install KB949810 again.

Bkinnamon,

Did you use the right language version of the patch?  If you used a language different from your version of Office, Microsoft Update would detect that you don't have the correct version of OGA installed and want to reinstall it.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:38 PM
  •  rbroder wrote:
    This solution does not work for us.  We have 2 people in a 70 person office who just had the OGA icon appear in the notification tray, and pop up a message when they try to run office.  Office has been on their computer for over 2 years.  It was purchased from Dell with the computer.  I need a solution that works now, before other computers in the network (4 other sites) start coming down with this issue.  I can not run around removing and reinstalling Office!  I need a real solutionl

rbroder,

It sounds like you may have a different OGA issue than this patch fixes.  You may want to take a look at the post Where do I get started, then create your own new thread in the OGA Validation Issues forum so that Microsoft can help you better.

I hope this helps you out.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:45 PM
  • NOTICE

Normally, the only way a Office User would know that they are using a Non-Genuine copy of Office is if they attempt to download Office content from office.microsoft.com or if they go to microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button.

The Only purpose of Update KB949810 (also known as Office Notifier) is to inform the users if their copy of Office was found to be Non-Genuine.  If Office Notifier informs you that your copy of Office is non-Genuine then please know that your copy of Office was Non-Genuine Before Update KB949810 was installed.  KB949810 is only Notifing you of this pre-existing condition. 

The patch that Paul has posted above is ONLY to fix a bug that appears if a user has the "Show Add-in User Interface Errors" option box checked. If you don't know about this option or where it can be found then the patch that paul has provided, is not for you and will not somehow make your Non-Genuine copy of Office, Genuine.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I know this is a old thread but hope you get this, I am having the same/similar issue and would like to try the English link however it has been re/moved if you could please point me in the right direction.

The Office in question is Professional Plus 2007 and uses a software assurance key (Multi Licence key) for mass company roll out.

Out of the few hundred we have rolled out this is the first we have come across this error, as it is only one case should I just reinstall office or will it retain the issue through the registry?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:42 PM
  • The issue for the user may be at different levels. Through google search I came across good blog article at 
    http://bit.ly/CbEjE  which might help. Cheers
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:21 AM