removing a backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a backup drive in the storage pool and want to remove it to protect against fire & theft, etc. When I try to remove it, WHS will not give me option to temporarily remove it, only to stop using it for backup. If I continue, what will happen when I return the drive to the system? Will I have to reformat and start from scratch?

Thanks.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• Thats interesting, maybe a bug. Removing the drive from the storage pool will not format it, as far as I know. Adding a backup drive allows you to select to format it or to leave it intact.
    Is this drive internal or external? What happens, if you simply disconnect it? I did so in the past a few times with my USB drive without problems.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:19 PM
  • When I've removed external drives, I do have the option of "temporarily" removing it, but that is grayed out for the internal drive. I will try removing it and then returning it to the pool. I hope I won't have to reformat and redo the backup.

Thanks,

Neil
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Internal drives can't be "temporarily" removed. This also affects eSATA drives in most cases, as Windows generally sees eSATA as an internal drive. The eSATA issue is known to Microsoft, but will not be corrected ...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:08 PM