The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deployed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am receiving this warning when i am importing organization.
    Warning is "The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deployed".

Could anyone help me to solve this problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:41 AM

All replies

• You need to install the same rollup update for the source and destination environments.

Check the following link to determine your current rollup version.

http://crmdynamo.com/2011/09/crm-2011-update-rollup-release-build-numbers-and-how-to-find-them/

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Linn Zaw,

see my scenario is like this.

I have a crm test server and live server. One organization is running on test server. I just want to do import customization of live server crm to test server crm so that all customization of test server and live server is same and i can develop changes on test server.

On both servers, There are not install any rollups. I am using ms crm 4.0 on both servers.

For this , I have do following things :

1.) First i restore db to test server of live server db and import a new organization and give db of live server db that i restored on test server.
    once i do this i face a warning "The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deployed". After click on next i will see a screen updating users, when users are updating, it takes long time and after some time, it shows error: "The snap in is not responding, to return to MNC and check the status of snap in, click cancel. If you choose to end up snap in immediately, you will loose any unsaved data, to end the snap in now , click end now".

2.) I take all customization from live server organization and import in test server organization. when i import this, i receive error : Either the file could not be uploaded, or this is not a valid customization file. I am using ms crm 4.0 in both servers.

Please give me some suggestions for this.

I just want to import all entities and work flow of live server crm to test server crm.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:08 AM
  • 1.) If both environments have no update rollup installed, there shouldn't be such a warning.

Can you double confirm by checking the version number of both of your CRM environments in Help > About

If it takes long time and after some time, it shows error while users are being updated during org import, it might be the issue mentioned in the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977867

To apply that fix, both of your environments need to have Update Rollup 8 or above.

2. ) If none of the environments have update rollup, there shouldn't be such an error. Pls double confirm the version number as mentioned above.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Hello Linn Zaw,

In test server the version is 4.0.7.333.2155

In Live server the version is 4.0.7.333.2149

Now I think, there should not be any problem?

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:00 AM
  • I can't find none of the version numbers "4.0.7333.2155" and "4.0.7333.2149" in the CRM 4.0 Version/Build numbers.

I am not sure the version number difference is the root cause of your second problem "Unable to import the customization" but for the first problem, you need to apply the fix mentioned in the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977867

To apply that fix, both of your environments need to have Update Rollup 8 or above.

So, installing an Update Rollup is an option for your project? If it is not, I can't think of any other solution.

Even if you contact Microsoft Support and raise a ticket regarding with this matter, the first thing they would suggest you is about installing the latest update rollup.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Hello Linn Zaw,

Thanx for your help.

In Live CRM Server organization, there are several .net forms and buttons, If customization is not uploading, then it may be a cause that live organization consists .net forms?

For the second step, If I install update Rollup 21 direct in my testserver and add registry files in it and import the organization by database. Then it will be benefitable? If I do not install any update Rollup in Liveserver.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Those .NET forms and buttons shouldn't be an issue for exporting/importing the customization. If you keep getting "Either the file could not be uploaded, or this is not a valid customization file." error message, can you try to export a few independent entities (e.g. master entities) first and see if those import?

I've never tried importing the organization from lower rollup of CRM environment to the latest environment. So, I can't make any comment about it but you can try it since you can easily install/uninstall on test server comparing to the huge effort of installing the latest rollup on the live server.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Thanks.

I had take one or two entities and their relationships, export it and import it. It is easily imported in crm. but when try more that 5 entities. It gives error.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Sounds like a time-out error.

Have you read this KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918609

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Yes I have read this article and do steps as suggested in this article.
    I have also installed updaterollup 21. I receive same error for the step 1 and step 2 after doing all these things.
    Can it be because the there are some .net forms and also another databases using in live server organization.

I have a 64 bit window server on my test server. I have installed CRMv4.0-KB2621054-amd64-Server-ENU.exe update rollup21 from the link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28799 on my test server.
    I think , I have installed right update rollup 21.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Having .net forms and another databases shouldn't be a problem in installation of roll up and applying the hotfix.

How was the import customization after installation of rollup and the fix mentioned in the KB article?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Yes, i had done steps wriiten in this article. I have made OLDBTIMEOUT D-word value but not make ExtendedTimeout Dword value.

Also do the changes in webconfig file which is save in crmweb folder. I have not find  two webconfig files as mentioned in this article.

Again try to import organization with restored db, it gives warning "

The organization database selected for import is a different version than the organization database that is currently deploy"

and after some time it gives error : "The snap in is not responding, to return to MNC and check the status of snap in, click cancel. If you choose to end up snap in immediately, you will loose any unsaved data, to end the snap in now , click end now".

After clicking on cancel , server hangs on and clicking on end now , the organisation is imported with failure. I have also log file for that.

I have some questions:

1.)I have a 64 bit window server on my test server. I have installed CRMv4.0-KB2621054-amd64-Server-ENU.exe update rollup21 from the link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28799 on my test server.

did I have install the correct update roll up?

2.) After installing update roll up, if i show the crm version , it shows earlier version, not the latest version in CRM registry file.

3.) If I unistall these update roll up from control panel, It shows only "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server", not update rollup 21, so I am not able to unstall it also.

4.) I had made a new organization , it successfully made. Suppose I have a orgnization testmscrm and db name is testmscrm_Mscrm.
    Can i restore testmscrm_Mscrm db with my liveserver db? Then orgnization should be in running mode after restoring db?

5.) If I restore Testmscrm_Mscrm DB of liveserver DB and open url of testmscrm, then it gives error : "Requested Record is not Found and you have not permissions to view it". 

Please support on this, I have no luck on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:57 AM
  • 1.) Yes, you've installed the correct update rollup. But I suggest you to try installing the update rollup to apply the fix for importing customization. With that latest update rollup, you might not be able to import the organization from the live server which is not update rollup installed.

2.) You have to check your CRM version in Help > About   so that you can see the full version number.

3.) Did you enable the option show updates?

4.) You can't just replace the CRM database like that unless your DEV server is the cloned VM of your live server. There're a lot of backend data changes during organization import so that it's impossible.

5.) Since the step 4 is impossible, CRM cannot recognize that newly imported DB so that it's showing error.

So, is cloning the live server is possible? Is your live server a physical one or VM?

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

No cloning the live server is not possible. Its a VM.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hello Linn Zaw,

As I have informed you earlier that production server data base contains various custom pages and other db's also for integration.
    If I installed update rollup on production server, I want to ask you that, their should not any problem in other databases and custom pages?
    If I install it and i face any problem, then  i uninstall it , then whole files would be uninstalled from the production server?
    I am just confirming that there will be not an issue in the production server.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:53 AM
  • If you install update rollup on production server, it won't effect the other databases on the same DB server. It will just update the MSCRM_CONFIG database and <OrganizationName>_MSCRM databases.

The custom pages shouldn't be a problem if those are developed in a Microsoft supported ways but there're some risks of updating those pages if there is any unsupported extension methods are used.

But please bear in mind that Update Rollup 21 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 cannot be removed. Specific database updates are applied in Update Rollup 21 that will not let you uninstall Update Rollup 21. You should back up your databases before you install this update.

If cloning of you production server is not possible, I suggest you to get the help of Microsoft support for this installation of update rollup. I don't know the complexity and nature of your custom pages as well as I am no longer working on CRM 4.0 since we started our new projects with CRM 2011, I can't assure the consequences even though the chance is very slim.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Thanx.

1.)If I install update rollup 2, then I think it can be uninstall easily and will it rollback the MSCRM_CONFIG database and <OrganizationName>_MSCRM databases?
    Production server db is using triggers and procedures. Custom pages contains orgnization url and username and password.
    Then it will be fine if I install update roll up2

2.) I have installed and uninstalled update roll up 21 on test server. I have not seen any problem there to uninstall it.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Hello Linn Zaw,

Could you please tell me how much space it takes when we import any organization through database? As I am importing database of 5 GB back up file with 17 gb mdf file, when i import this database, the space in c is decreasing during the process of importing and it is decreased by 13 GB. Free space in C before importing was 25 gb and now its 12 gb and importing is going on.
    Please suggest on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Hi Linn Zaw, I have made a clone of application server and do steps in this link "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;952934&sd=rss&spid=12976" and do step for "Move the Microsoft Dynamics CRM databases to another SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services server in the same domain, and leave the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server on the existing server".

I have installed sqlserver 2008 r2 on clone server and then disable the organization and give path for sqlserver and reporting server and try to check ms crm url and gives “Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'”. I have add this user in sqlaccessgroup , privusergroup in Active Directory. Please suggest on this. Am I chossing wrong path?

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Gupta

Monday, July 23, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Does your SQL server have multiple instances?
    Monday, July 30, 2012 9:46 AM