Can the Created By and Created On attributes be written during migration? RRS feed

• Question

• My data analyst is using Scribe to migrate a couple of million records from Sage CRM to Microsoft CRM. In CRM all the records appear to be created by his user account, since that's the account used by Scribe and the creation date appears to be the time of the data migration job. We'd prefer the records to hold the original created by user and time from Sage CRM.

We were wondering if the Created By and Created On values can be written during the migration (Scribe doesn't seem to be able to update these attributes through the CRM API)? Presumably, Scribe could impersonate each user in turn and import their records before impersonating the next user and importing their records. Only problem is that we have 500 user to impersonate and the migration job already takes 30 hours to run.

Anyone managed to find a solution for this one?

Thanks, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Neil,

do you know this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc150987(v=MSDN.10).aspx ? Each entity has the attribute overriddencreatedon which is used to store the original date of creation. Sadly, there is no other solution for the 'Created by' attribute, as to impersonate the user.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi Neil,

With regard to the Owner, if you have the original owner in your import file, then you could map that to the CRM Owner in the dts migration file if that is a work around for the 'Created By'.  If not, what I did in one installation was create a custom field for each value: Original Created By and Original Created On.  I then populated those fields for the migrated data with the Original Values from the source file. 

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Neil,

do you know this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc150987(v=MSDN.10).aspx ? Each entity has the attribute overriddencreatedon which is used to store the original date of creation. Sadly, there is no other solution for the 'Created by' attribute, as to impersonate the user.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi Neil,

With regard to the Owner, if you have the original owner in your import file, then you could map that to the CRM Owner in the dts migration file if that is a work around for the 'Created By'.  If not, what I did in one installation was create a custom field for each value: Original Created By and Original Created On.  I then populated those fields for the migrated data with the Original Values from the source file. 

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Donna and ckeller. We have been able to assign the Sage CRM record owner as the Microsoft CRM record owner. I think we might have to create some custom fields to store the original Created By and Created On (or used the overriddencreatedon as ckeller suggests) and use these instead. But the only place I can't show these values is in the record Properties (when the user clicks on the Dynamics logo in the top left corner of the form).

Thanks anyway,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Hi Neil,

I am guessing by this point you would have migrated your Sage records into CRM and I'm too late to assist you with this. However, if you're looking to automatically integrate Sage data with CRM 2011 as an on-going thing then CRMapps (launched by Goldcrest Solutions, a leading MS Dynamics CRM partner) have a really good solution that could be of interest to you.

Our Sage 50 integration app allows for automatic data synchronisation between Sage 50 2012 and MS CRM 2011, either online or on premise. This app automatically transfers any new or changed data in CRM to Sage and vice versa, catering for all 1:N relationships. A great benefit this solution is that it’s easily customisable allowing the user to have total control over what data is transferred and when.

By running these two systems in sync with each other it eliminates having to manually input new data into Sage and CRM - simply add it to one and it will automatically appear in the other!

It’s also compatible with mobiles, iPads and tablets so the user can literally view up to date information from anywhere. This solution is Microsoft Platform Ready and has already been successfully implemented with customers. 

The best bit though is that it’s quick and easy to install and you can start using it straight away with no disruption to work flow. There’s a free trial you can download if you want to check it out for yourself - http://crmapps.co.uk/Sage-Line-50.aspx. Please contact sales@crmapps.co.uk and we’ll be happy to provide further information.

Regards,

Eloisa McCormick

CRMapps

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:14 AM