Remote computer unresponsive after remote login disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue with live mesh remote desktop. 

Machine 1: Windows Vista SP1
    Machine 2: Windows XP SP3

Both machines only have admin users.

When i connect from Machine 1 to Machine 2, remote desktop works normal, and disconnects fine.  When i try to physically use Machine 2 after remoting in using live mesh, the monitor won't come on.  The monitor just stays asleep, i tried typing keys, moving the mouse, alt-ctrl-del, standby button, nothing will wake the monitor.  I have to hard reset the computer to use it again.

My power options on Machine 2 are turn off monitor after 15 mins, hard disks off after 1 hour.

If i use Machine 2 to remote into Machine 1, everything works normally, including waking the computer up physically.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:48 PM

Answers

• This has been reported a number of times. I have it continually on one of my machines. It is apparently a driver issue with the display driver for the remote desktop session not releasing back to the actual display driver. The only way that I can deal with it is to remote back into the machine when it happens and restart the machine. Then I can log on locally. Thankfully, Live Mesh remote desktop allows you to use the Shut Down/Restart/Sleep options on the remote machine, unlike the native RDP in Windows.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• This has been reported a number of times. I have it continually on one of my machines. It is apparently a driver issue with the display driver for the remote desktop session not releasing back to the actual display driver. The only way that I can deal with it is to remote back into the machine when it happens and restart the machine. Then I can log on locally. Thankfully, Live Mesh remote desktop allows you to use the Shut Down/Restart/Sleep options on the remote machine, unlike the native RDP in Windows.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Ok, yes i have been resetting the machine remotely too.  Should i submit a bug report?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:34 PM
  • You can. That may well increase the pressure in getting it fixed and your logs may provide more information for the developers to identify the specific causes for the problem.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:07 PM