Remote desktop and multiple monitors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi: I've be trying out the remote deskeop facilities of Live Mesh and I have a question about how it handles (or doesn't handle) the situation in which the remote computer to which I am connecting has multiple monitors. I tried connecting to my work desktop machine and initially Live Mesh showed my "main" desktop but if I moved the cursor to the edge of the window it scrolled onto the second window - cool I thought as this is the one feature I think is really lacking from mstsc.exe. There seemed to be quite a few "painting" bugs but it was really quite usable. But after a few minutes of playing around with re-sizing the window and the like it appeared that Live Mesh "settled down" and reverted to the more usual single monitor display ... no matter what I do I can't get back to the multimon view.

So was the initial behavior I saw a bug or is is a feature? If it is the former then I would *really* push for it to be made into a feature - I don't mind if I have to scroll, click something, use CTRL-ATL-whatever I really want to be able to access that second monitor on my desktop machine?

Thanks
    JonCaves
    Jonathan Caves - Visual C++ Compiler Team
    Friday, February 6, 2009 3:06 AM

Answers

• It doesn't work.  There seems to be a bug where the multiple monitor desktop is crushed into the width of a single monitor.  They added an option to stop this "scaling" but the mouse still doesn't track properly.  It seems the desktop is un-squashed but where the mouse clicks is not.  Makes it pretty much impossible to use.

A bug report claims this has been "fixed" but I don't know if they've pushed out the update yet 'cause it still doesn't work for me.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I don't know if the bug was fixed in a later internal build, but you are welcome to open a new bug based on your experience with the problem. Please post the link back here to the bug so that others can validate it.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:55 PM

All replies

• I don't have any multi-monitor setups to try with, but it is my understanding that Live Mesh supports multi-monitor for remote desktop as you initially experienced. Why it stopped working would be the mystery. Did you disconnect and reconnect and still can't access the full display of both monitors? If so, a bug report with logs would probably be in order. See the instructions here - Sticky: How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs.

-steve

Friday, February 6, 2009 3:42 PM
  • It doesn't work.  There seems to be a bug where the multiple monitor desktop is crushed into the width of a single monitor.  They added an option to stop this "scaling" but the mouse still doesn't track properly.  It seems the desktop is un-squashed but where the mouse clicks is not.  Makes it pretty much impossible to use.

A bug report claims this has been "fixed" but I don't know if they've pushed out the update yet 'cause it still doesn't work for me.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I don't know if the bug was fixed in a later internal build, but you are welcome to open a new bug based on your experience with the problem. Please post the link back here to the bug so that others can validate it.
    -steve
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:55 PM