Moving Microsoft Money to a New PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new PC with Windows 7.  I have loaded the Money program onto the new PC without a problem (kept the CD).  I copied the Money 2004 program from the old PC on to a flash drive and have not been able to load it as it requires a password associated with the email addy. 

1.  I have ticked the Work Off Line box, this does not help.

2.  I have been to File----Password Manager-----Clicked Remove and been told to go to Manage Online Services.

3.   As instructed I went to Accounts---- Manage Online Services --- but there is no Access Your Money Data On The Web to click as insructed 2.

I have other older files, not linked to the web/password requirement, wich load ok.  I have searched the web for a solution but without any advice I have seen been able to get me pass the Password stage. I have tried all the passwords i can think of, including this one.  The file opens ok on the old PC with a password it 'remembers.'

Help Please

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• The QIF move is quite effective and it only seems to loose a few low value transactions, still testing..lol

Can i ask a related question, I have learnt a lot but can I transfer an Account from one File to another File both of which are on my new PC.  The only way seems to be by again going through the QIF process, which I am a bit reluctant to do if there is a easier way.

Thanks

tallman3uk

Without QIF, no. Here are some QIF comments:

1. You could add an account to an existing file by importing that one account as a QIF. That would not recognize transfers between accounts, however.

2. You could import the transactions newer than a certain date by first editing the QIF files, and deleting the older transactions. The transactions in the exported QIF files are in chronological order.

3. The reason that you import transactions as new or recovered accounts all at once is that lets Money recognize transfers between accounts.

4. When importing a QIF file as a statement, Money looks for duplicates and ignores what it thinks is a duplicate. When importing as new or recovered accounts, no duplicate checking for duplicates is performed, and you can select more than one file.

I am glad to see that you are up to the challenge.

Note that Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset can do other currencies including GBP. I have not done things, other than brief experiments, with anything other than USD.

• Marked as answer by tallman3uk Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:03 PM

All replies

• Does your install disk actually say Money 2004? If not, it is probably Money 2005. If so, you will need to install the updated version of Money 2005 UK. You probably really do have Money 2004, since your older files still work. If you want Money 2005, use the first thread in this forum for the link.

If you know the credentials that were in effect when the file was saved, try disconnecting from the internet. Then see if you can Click below the password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services.". The password part is case-sensitive. You will not get in without using the password and email address that were in effect when the file was saved.

I am sorry to say that Money 2004 or 2005 cannot remove a Live ID. You will have to continue to sign in offline. If you get into your file, then you could consider QIF export and Import to a new file. That has shortcomings, but it could be worth it to you.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Carl, many thanks for your reply.

You ask how I know it is 2004.  I am still able to open the files on the old pc and looked under Help----About Microsoft Money---- that the stated Version 14.0.120.730 copyright 2004. But it still may be Money 2005..lol (see below)

I have tried Disconecting from the internet but the login screen does not have the "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." statement you suggest, I wish it did. It just has a tick box for Work Off Line, which I tick.  This alows me in.  If I dont tick it, I cant get into the file.

I have been down the QIF export way, but the resulting file has a US date format which would involve way to much work to change to a UK date format (UK = date/month/year US = month/date/year) and there are other problems but thanks for the suggestion.

The password is still in the old PC and allows me into the file.  I have Vista, if I went into Local Disc (C)----- Program Files-----Microsoft Money 2005 (you were right..lol) and copied all the files under that hedding onto the new PC and posted them in the appropriate place in Windows 7, would that move the password too?  i.e is the password held there?

Thanks in anticipation

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi again, just an up-date.  I have tried copying the Money 2005 files from the Vista PC to the Windows 7 Program location and tried opening the file. Nope that did not work.

I tried two freeware programes that said they could reveal the letters under the * they didnt.

I downloaded the Sunset program.  That did not help.

Idears still welcome...lol

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Many thanks Dominic for the reply.  I am a bit of a muppet when it comes to computers so when you say:-

You should remove the Windows Live ID (Microsoft Passport) under File\Password Manager on all your systems and replace it with a standard password.

Where do I go to find the 'File.'  If I do that in Money and click on Change as I said in 2. above, I get sent to the Manage Online Services, and so it goes on...lol

Sorry to be a pain, but thanks for the help in anticipation

tallman3uk

ps.   I have dowloaded the update as suggested.  This has not changed anything I can see and I am still able to get into the file on the old pc (this was a worry...lol).  The question above is still valid however.
    • Edited by tallman3uk Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:15 PM update
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 11:54 AM
  • I am still able to get into the file on the old pc (this was a worry...lol).  The question above is still valid however.

I suggest that you consider saving QIF files from each of your accounts in the file on the old PC in case you need them. You could do the export part now, and only do the import into a new file if you don't find a better solution. Here is how the process goes:

If you want to do the QIF export/import, I would follow the steps
    in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178830
    except in the first step 4, I would suggest this: start the name of
    the QIF file for the investment accounts with an underscore (_),
    and start the name of QIF files for the cash accounts associated
    with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
    _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause
    the investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash
    account.  When the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify
    that you want to track the cash transactions.  Then specify that
    the cash transactions account for BrownInvestment was where the
    BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Then File->Import ALL AT ONCE using Ctrl+<click> to select files.
    Specify "New or Recovered" account when asked.

Of course you will use a different filename for the new file, and
    you will have both versions to choose from when done.  I would also
    set up the backups to make sure they are using different names.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:26 PM
  • You must get fed up with old men like me (67) but i disconected my wifi connection but I am not able to remove the Live ID. If I do before I get in the file, it tells me to put in an id/password even if i click the work off line box. When I go in to the file there is no facility to, as you say "remove the live ID." Where is the "data file" on the Vista pc for me to delete it? Regards and appologies.

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Thanks Cal, I have printed yr reply and while I will still try to find a solution I will certainly also coppy the files as u suggest and see how it goes.

Thanks again and all advise is welcome.

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:02 PM
  • While trying the other ways I am experimenting with the QIF's.  A word of advice to UK people who may read this.  Ensure your date format on the new SW is the same as on the old.  Mine was not, and it has taken me ages to understand why I had so many missing dates!!!  The SW could not understand dd/mm/yyyy when the WINDOWS 7 format was mm/dd/yyyy so just left it out.  It also put the data in the wrong order  ie  day 2 in Feb...lol  The things you learn!!

Again, many thanks for your most helpfull replies.  Hope my problems may help others.  Still trying to move the file though.

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:08 PM
    1. Disconnect from the internet on the Vista machine.
    2. Open your Money file on the Vista machine.
    3. In the Money program menu, go to File - Password Manager and remove the Microsoft Passport.

Unfortunately, the Password Manager of Money 2005 and earlier is unable to remove a LiveID/Passport without the the now-gone server. The user of that file must continue to sign in offline.

Using QIF export+import, is the only alternative.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:08 PM
  • While trying the other ways I am experimenting with the QIF's.  A word of advice to UK people who may read this.  Ensure your date format on the new SW is the same as on the old.  Mine was not, and it has taken me ages to understand why I had so many missing dates!!!  The SW could not understand dd/mm/yyyy when the WINDOWS 7 format was mm/dd/yyyy so just left it out.  It also put the data in the wrong order  ie  day 2 in Feb...lol  The things you learn!!

tallman3uk

Good point. If you wanted to swap month and date fields on a QIF file, http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/b56b9fea-5220-4bea-abc7-8a407d60d580 discusses a little utility that could be used.

However a UK user would probably want to use dd/mm/yyyy anyway.

One more thing to consider is that with QIF export and import, you could migrate to the US version if you wanted. I am not saying that it would be a net advantage to you. One big advantage is that it will save up to 99 (default 4) timestamped backups of the latest upon-exit and scheduled backups . With the UK version, you would want to take steps to keep multiple backups so that a problem that occurs doesn't get backed up over your only good backup.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Cal,

Do you know if the OP switched to Sunset (US), would he then be able to remove the the Microsoft Passport password? If so, it certainly would be worth the indignity of having to put up with the US spellings.

• Edited by bobjbkln Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Cal,

Do you know if the OP switched to Sunset (US), would he then be able to remove the the Microsoft Passport password? If so, it certainly would be worth the indignity of having to put up with the US spellings.

Money Plus Deluxe Sunset cannot read a UK Money file usually, but I think some have posted that it somehow worked. It is not supposed to work, and usually it would not. But yes, if that transition were somehow made, the LiveID could be removed.

If the move was made via QIF export+import, the LiveID would not be on the resulting file anyway.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:17 PM
  • The QIF move is quite effective and it only seems to loose a few low value transactions, still testing..lol

Can i ask a related question, I have learnt a lot but can I transfer an Account from one File to another File both of which are on my new PC.  The only way seems to be by again going through the QIF process, which I am a bit reluctant to do if there is a easier way.

Thanks

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:40 PM
  • You loose a lot more than that including share price history, scheduled bills, addresses, and more.  The import/export is handy as a last resort but in my opinion it IS a last resort.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Hi Mike, you are so right you do loose a great deal but the alternative seems to be to loose it all.  I have now moved all the accounts to the new PC via the QIF export.  Its not quite as I like but I hope to move the accounts into a new UK rather than USA/UK ($) based file.  Yes I have changed the account value to a £ but still can see the $ equivalent...lol.

My rules on doing this?  1. Set up the equivalent accounts on the new SW.  DO NOT do that as you go..grrrrr.  2. Be sure you have the FILE and the ACCOUNT currency correctly sorted.  3.  When you export a file use an equivalent but brief name related to the file, errrr..not a..b...c etc (sob).  4.  Do a test run with a complicated account and look at the results or you will cry, realy you will, if you import them all and then find they are crap.  You can always delete the test file.

Still looking to move the accounts from one file to another though....fun this.....and its only taken all day...lol

tallman3uk

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:45 PM

Thanks

tallman3uk

Without QIF, no. Here are some QIF comments:

1. You could add an account to an existing file by importing that one account as a QIF. That would not recognize transfers between accounts, however.

2. You could import the transactions newer than a certain date by first editing the QIF files, and deleting the older transactions. The transactions in the exported QIF files are in chronological order.

3. The reason that you import transactions as new or recovered accounts all at once is that lets Money recognize transfers between accounts.

4. When importing a QIF file as a statement, Money looks for duplicates and ignores what it thinks is a duplicate. When importing as new or recovered accounts, no duplicate checking for duplicates is performed, and you can select more than one file.

I am glad to see that you are up to the challenge.

Note that Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset can do other currencies including GBP. I have not done things, other than brief experiments, with anything other than USD.

• Marked as answer by tallman3uk Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:03 PM
  • A final comment on this thread.  I have now moved all the accounts over with the Export/Import  function suggested.  The only problem was the times that I had used the Transfer function and when I imported I had not given the relevant files EXACTLY the same name.  The SW did not then know what account to relate the action too.  I have not used this much so the problems were few and recoverable.  For those that are interested,the new laptop was an Apple.  I have used a SW package called Parallels to enable me to use a purchased Windows 7 on it. I have had no problems due to this way of working.

Again many thanks to both Cal and Dom for their help.  I dont think this would have been possible without them.

tallman3uk

• Edited by tallman3uk Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:28 PM spelling...lol
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:26 PM