Cannot save files to the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• This is weird!!
    My WHS SP1 supports 3 PCs (two Vista and one XP MCE).  All backup correctly, all have access to shared folders via the desktop icon on the server in accordance with the permissions granted.
    What I can no longer do is navigate to the shares from any of the clients from Windows Explorer.......The server does not show up. I do see the media connect icon and the link to the website but not the WHS and its directory structure.  This means I cannot save files to the server; only read from the server via the shared folders icon.
    I have reinstalled the connector software several times to no avail even though the install goes smoothly.
    I suspect a windows update might be the culprit but I have no idea which one.
    Has anyone else experienced this? or able to offer suggestions?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:57 AM

Answers

• Not seeing your server under "Network" isn't a surprise. That's where we get back to the workgroups I was asking about at the beginning. Or you could map network drives to the shares you use all the time. Once you map a drive, you'll have that share accessible just like any drive actually connected to your computer. Personally I don't bother, unless a program requires a drive letter (i.e. can't deal with a UNC path like \\server\Private\documents\Medical Histories).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Renny Paul Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:35 AM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:29 PM

All replies

• The desktop icon doesn't access the server in a special way. It's a shortcut to \\server. So you should have exactly the same access through that shortcut that you would have any other way.

What you describe could have a number of causes, and probably will turn out to have multiple causes. So a few answers, and some more detail, would be helpful.

First, is your server home-built, or an HP or similar OEM unit? From each of your clients, can you ping your server by name? By IP address? Does the server's workgroup match the workgroup of your home computers? Regarding access to shares, have you created users on the server that match the users on your home computers? Or have you been relying on the Guest account for access to the server?

Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

I built the server myself and it has been operating fine since about June 08.
    All clients are able to ping the server by either method.
    I have not been able to determine if the server is part of the same workgroup as the clients. (a tip on how to do this would be helpful)
    All clients have their own user accounts of the same name etc.
    Just by way of further info, if I attempt to save anything by going to "save as" niether the server or the shares or users is available as an option.
    As I stated before, I can access shares via the desktop icon, I can also get access through other methods like typing //server in the search pane.  However, if I go "start" - "network" the server does not appear.

Appreciate your advice
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:59 PM
  • I think I'm not quite getting your actual issue. Whether you use the shortcut on your desktop, use Windows Explorer to view \\server via the Explorer address bar, or navigate to the server by selecting My Network Places (XP) or Network (Vista) and then navigating to the server, you're accessing it the same way. Are you saying that you can't save a file to your server at all, no matter how you access it?

Friday, January 9, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Sorry if I am being vague.

I can copy files to the server but only if I save them to the client computer first.
    If I want to save a file to the server as a first preference I cannot access save to server as an option.
    Eg, if I want to save an email attachment, I am only given options for directories on the client; not on the server.
    Thanks for your persistance.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Okay. I understand (I think) what you're asking about. The problem you're experiencing isn't really with your server, though I understand why it looks that way to you. :)

Anyway, using Vista as an example, if you open the File/Save dialog in Notepad or any other application that uses it (it's a standard dialog, so most anything that can save a file will do) you will see several sections. At the top is an Explorer address bar. In that address bar, you see something like:

> Renny Paul > Documents >

And that's where you're expecting to see your server listed? The dropdown list that you can access by clicking on the downward-pointing arrow is a list of recently used locations; if you haven't used your server as a target for a save for a while it may not appear. In addition, there are actions that could be taken automatically, or that you might have taken without realizing that this would be a consequence, that would cause Windows to "forget" the list of locations. So, if you click once in that box i mentioned (not on the arrow) you'll see it collapse to something like C:\Users\Renny\Documents. At that point, highlight the path shown, then just type \\server (or whatever your server is named) and press Enter and you will be able to see your server's shares. On XP you would select the file name and type \\server there.

I hope that helps. :)

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Mate, you are a genius (well almost)
    Your suggestion works fine; I can now save files to the server directly by following your instructions - except for email attachments.
    I am using Windows Mail and the dialog box to "save attachments" is unlike that for all other applications. Also, Windows Explorer resolutly will not show the server under "network" in the tree.
    So, to sum it all up, I would describe my current state as having sufficient "work arounds" to make it all function.  I concur with your observation that the ongoing fault in probably on the client side (could mapping have anything to do with it, or perhaps syncing?)
    Much appreciate your assistance thus far.

Regards
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Not seeing your server under "Network" isn't a surprise. That's where we get back to the workgroups I was asking about at the beginning. Or you could map network drives to the shares you use all the time. Once you map a drive, you'll have that share accessible just like any drive actually connected to your computer. Personally I don't bother, unless a program requires a drive letter (i.e. can't deal with a UNC path like \\server\Private\documents\Medical Histories).

• Marked as answer by Renny Paul Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:35 AM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:29 PM
  • I managed to check that all clients were part of the same workgroup and they are.  So I doubt this is an issue.
    I have just gone to each client and made sure the server shares are in the "recent" lists so this provides a work around for my problem.
    Many thanks for your assistance.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Okay. :) Since WHS (by default) is in a different workgroup than your home computers, this is obviously how Microsoft intends users to deal with the problem. (My opinion is that there are several better ways, but I don't work for Microsoft...)

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:45 PM