Access Course 5452 misunderstand linking vs copying RRS feed

• General discussion

•  It states in the Advantages of Linking object in Access.
    "You do not need to create a copy of the data in Access 2007. You can modify the data in Access 2007 without affecting the original data in the source program."

The first sentence is correct and I agree with it. The second sentence is wrong. If you are linking to another object you must go to the source to make the change. You cannot make the change in Access without it affecting the source.

Am I totally wrong? Can you have Access link to something, but still make changes in Access that will not change the source and will not be over written the next time the link is updated.

Sherri
    • Moved by V Longacre Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:38 AM Learning Manager Forum more helpful for this issue. (Moved from Learning Content Development System (LCDS) - Bugs and Feedback to Learning Manager Bugs and Feedback)
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi SherriLynn,

I have forwarded your query to our Access curriculum manager. We will post an update as soon as we resolve.

Thanks for posting.

Mike Mulcare
    Microsoft Learning
    Mike Mulcare E-learning Product Manager Microsoft Learning This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 11:07 PM
  •  

Hi SherriLynn,

The statement in the course is correct, as far as it goes.  When using a linked table in Access 2007, you can make changes to the data without changing the linked file.  However, when the linked file is changed, any conflicting changes made in Access will be overwritten.  For more information on linked tables, please see
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP010950951033.aspx.

Hope this resolves your query.

Ravi Acharya
    Microsoft Learning

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

RA
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:35 PM