none
WHS / HTPC ... I know Ive asked but i have another idea/question RRS feed

• General discussion

• Well Im commited to building a dual purpose box. Here are methods Ive considered. I have heard success from each and i also know that none of these are supported uses from microsoft

1. Install Windows 7 Ultimate, Install Vmware 2.0, Install Windows Home Server (Favorite)
    2. Install Windows Home Server, Install Vmware 2.0 , Install Windows 7 Ultimate (2nd Favorite)
    3. Install Windows Home Server, Install WMP 11, Install VLC Player (Least Favorite)

Your thoughs, I know a 2 box system is reccomended but I'm techy, already have that goin on and would like to try something more unique as cable card support was just opened up, I think this is the time for such a htpc
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:51 AM not a technical question
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• Well Im commited to building a dual purpose box. Here are methods Ive considered. I have heard success from each and i also know that none of these are supported uses from microsoft

1. Install Windows 7 Ultimate, Install Vmware 2.0, Install Windows Home Server (Favorite)
    2. Install Windows Home Server, Install Vmware 2.0 , Install Windows 7 Ultimate (2nd Favorite)
    3. Install Windows Home Server, Install WMP 11, Install VLC Player (Least Favorite)

Your thoughs, I know a 2 box system is reccomended but I'm techy, already have that goin on and would like to try something more unique as cable card support was just opened up, I think this is the time for such a htpc

First, let me I say I wouldn't do any of those options (I would, and do, have a 2 box solution).  My main workstation doubles as my TV recording device (since it's on most of the time anyway), then I move my Recorded TV to my server for streaming.

Having said that, IF I had to rate those options, I would rate those options in the same order you did.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Ya, I have a 2 box setup now, it works and is functional, But Im owning the planet with power consumption. I am building a green server/win 7 machine and Im confident that I can manage its complexity. The only thing I am worried about  is backung up WHS in image format, but I guess a lot of people here fail at that also. So my answer is to just use acronis to backup windows 7, Vmware and thus also backing up WHS opperating system, Then using Acronis to set up another backup of the data share on WHS to 2 2tb External drives which are hooked up via E-sata
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:51 PM