unique contacts in accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the contact form, we have a "contact id" to interact with our own ERP software.
    The problem is, that this "contact id" has to be unique, but only within a company.

So there may be 2 id's with the same value if the contacts are related to different companies.
    For example, in "company A" , there may only be 1 person with the id "0001".
    In "Company B", you may also have a person with the id "0001".

How can i make this possible?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:44 PM

All replies

• I think u can handle this by giving different business units to the companies:

Company A - BU A

Company B - BU B

because record rights can be controlled by user, business unit, parent child business unit, and organization.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:50 PM
  • You could do this using OOB functionality by setting up a Contact entity duplicate detection rule with criteria:

• Account
    • Contact ID (your custom field

Unfortunately 2013 has reduced the effectiveness of this solution, but there is an open-source add-on to bring back duplicate detection.

On the other hand, it would also be pretty easy to write a plugin that checks for duplicates.  With this option, you could enforce the duplicate-check and provide a customized error message.  This is the route that I suggest.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:29 PM