none
Product key and validation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I was referred to this forum for help.
    When I bought my laptop, it came with Windows XP Professional already pre-installed by the manufacturer as OEM version together with other manufacturer's applications.
    I have run the MGA diagnostic and have two questions.

1) The Product Key shown in the MGAdiag report does not match at all the one on the sticker at the bottom of my laptop.
    From what I read on the web this is probably because it's common practice for big computer manufacturers to install Windows on more computers using the same standard key.
    I burnt a factory-default configuration backup DVD, in case I ever need to format my hard-disk in future - hopefully never! :-)
    My question is: if I needed to do that, which product key should I type when I reinstall everything from that DVD? the key from MGAdiag or the one on the sticker? Or could I just try one and, if unsuccessful, the other?

2) The MGAdiag report says: "Validation Status: Validation control not installed".
    Is this because I haven't installed yet the Windows Genuine Advantage tool from the Windows Update?
    If so, and given my XP is a pre-installed OEM version, is it ok if I install the WGA update or could this mess up my system or give errors?

I appreciate if someone could help answering my two queries. MGA report pasted below.

Thanks in advance for your help.

==========================

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Validation Control not Installed
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VW3P7-YHQQ6-C7RYM
    Windows Product Key Hash: ZcgwvstIxQC+DhtQDO8/GmF+gus=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00100
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {B7AE6AF0-EB7E-46B2-84B6-C7F9954740A6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_E2AD56EA-765-8009_E2AD56EA-766-2ee7_E2AD56EA-148-80004005_16E0B333-89-80004005_78155E4D-232-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B7AE6AF0-EB7E-46B2-84B6-C7F9954740A6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-C7RYM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00100</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1808491901-1178147021-2521828933</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Acer           </Manufacturer><Model>Extensa 5210                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>V1.03          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070427000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>AcerSystem ,AcerSystem </SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>0F4F3E07018400DA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Acer Inc.</name><model>AcerSystem</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 16FC0:Acer Incorporated|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: AcerSystem ,AcerSystem

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:09 PM

Answers

• Please visit the Genuine Microsoft Software – Diagnostic Site and click on Start Diagnostics.

Please note that you have a OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) Windows XP reinstallation disc that does not require entering a product key.  However, if a product key is required to be entered, you would use the one printed on the Certificate of Authenticity label that was affixed to your computer by the computer manufacturer.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by terminator123 Monday, November 28, 2011 10:35 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 11:50 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:bb354d8f-4d9d-421b-9b27-c27fdc26f7ff...

OK, I'll explain better.

Whenever I had notifications of updates popping up, I have always installed them, with the only exception of WGA because I never thought, rightly or wrongly, that it was necessary as I deemed my XP to be genuine and did not appreciate the meaning of validation.

A few weeks ago I went more in depth into this; I was told about MGAdiag and this forum so I came here. My MGAdiag report then was basically saying that I hadn't validated my XP yet, and Carey Frisch (1st reply to me in this thread) posted a link to validate Windows on line.

I followed his link, followed the instructions downloading a few ActiveX, and at the end of the online validation process a Microsoft webpage appeared saying something like "Welcome to Windows, your windows is genuine" (can't remember exactly).

As a further confirmation, I re-run MGAdiag and, as you can see, it confirms that the validation is done and my XP is genuine.

Now back to the WGA Notification popup. I think this still appears because I haven't installed WGA directly from Windows Update but I have done the validation online. I suspect this notification would reinstall the ActiveX again, but I fear they might be an older version and I don't want to risk to mess up my system.

So I could just ignore it for good again, unless you definitely think I should install it anyway. Interestingly, when I now go to the Windows Updates website, it offers me non-critical updates which I couldn't see before (having not done the validation yet). Among these, I can see the WGA update as well, which is reported as from 2009. (That's why I think it's an old one, maybe older than the one I've installed during the online validation a few days ago.

I hope I have explained this clearly. Basically my question is: is it safe to install this old WGA update now that validation is already done correctly, or is it safer to just leave it aside for good, since I can already receive now the benefits of validation (i.e. non-critical updates)?

There are a number of parts of WGA – one of which it the WGA Notifications update which you are currently asking about.
    This update enables some automated features of WGA which are otherwise not present – such as periodic checks of the system. The Notification would then pop up a non-genuine notice if the basic requirements of WGA are failed at any point (for any reason – such as file or registry corruption).
    There is no good reason not to install it on a genuine system – and some good reasons for doing so (it can help identify problems before they become too much for simple repair methods to deal with).
    If – as you suspect – the update is no longer applicable, it will refuse to install now, and you should not see it again. However, as far as I am aware that is still the current version.

The KB article is here..

The Download page actually gives an easier-to-understand roundup of its effects on the system...

As far as ‘is it safe?’ is concerned –
    Yes, it’s safe under any circumstances except when the system is not genuine <g>

Will it make any difference to your computer? Probably not, if you are a reasonably conscientious user.

Will it interfere with anything? Almost certainly not – unless the system fails validation

Will it improve anything? doubtful.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by terminator123 Monday, November 28, 2011 10:36 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 PM

All replies

• Please visit the Genuine Microsoft Software – Diagnostic Site and click on Start Diagnostics.

Please note that you have a OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) Windows XP reinstallation disc that does not require entering a product key.  However, if a product key is required to be entered, you would use the one printed on the Certificate of Authenticity label that was affixed to your computer by the computer manufacturer.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by terminator123 Monday, November 28, 2011 10:35 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Hi Carey

Many thanks for your help. It's been very useful.

Just to report on the two original issues:

VALIDATION DIAGNOSTIC
    I went to the link you posted and followed the instructions. Nice and easy, and the outcome was that my Windows was found to be Genuine. As a further confirmation, I re-run the MGA diagnostic and the report now says "Genuine" :-)
    Just one question now: the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" still pops up from the yellow shield icon of Automatic Updates on my computer. What should I do with it: ignore it and cancel it, or download it and install it anyway?

PRODUCT KEY
    I read the Wikipedia article that you referred me to.
    Interestingly, the article says "...if an end user feels the need to perform a "clean install" of Windows, and if the manufacturer supplies the user with an installation disc (not a "System Recovery" disc that is a hard drive image), the user will not be prompted to activate the copy...". You also mention the Windows XP reinstallation disc.
    Unfortunately, I do not have such disc, I was never given one when I bought my laptop: at the time I asked other retailers as well, and they all told me they don't give such disc.
    When I contacted my laptop's manufacturer, I was told I could either buy a "factory default configuration backup disc" from them or burn one from the application installed on my laptop. I did the second and so this is the disc I mentioned in my first post.
    The manufacturer told me that if I use it I would get the laptop at the status of when I bought it, including XP.
    So now I'm confused. Is that the same as a reinstallation disc?
    Basically, if I need to, can I really reinstall XP the way the manufacturer told me with the disc I have? If so, would I then need to activate XP (using the PK on the CoA, as you said previously)?

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 6:35 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:45d89e57-463e-458b-b3c5-397d1b0ba455...
    Hi Carey

Many thanks for your help. It's been very useful.

Just to report on the two original issues:

VALIDATION DIAGNOSTIC
    I went to the link you posted and followed the instructions. Nice and easy, and the outcome was that my Windows was found to be Genuine. As a further confirmation, I re-run the MGA diagnostic and the report now says "Genuine" :-)
    Just one question now: the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" still pops up from the yellow shield icon of Automatic Updates on my computer. What should I do with it: ignore it and cancel it, or download it and install it anyway?

PRODUCT KEY
    I read the Wikipedia article that you referred me to.
    Interestingly, the article says "...if an end user feels the need to perform a "clean install" of Windows, and if the manufacturer supplies the user with an installation disc (not a "System Recovery" disc that is a hard drive image), the user will not be prompted to activate the copy...". You also mention the Windows XP reinstallation disc.
    Unfortunately, I do not have such disc, I was never given one when I bought my laptop: at the time I asked other retailers as well, and they all told me they don't give such disc.
    When I contacted my laptop's manufacturer, I was told I could either buy a "factory default configuration backup disc" from them or burn one from the application installed on my laptop. I did the second and so this is the disc I mentioned in my first post.
    The manufacturer told me that if I use it I would get the laptop at the status of when I bought it, including XP.
    So now I'm confused. Is that the same as a reinstallation disc?
    Basically, if I need to, can I really reinstall XP the way the manufacturer told me with the disc I have? If so, would I then need to activate XP (using the PK on the CoA, as you said previously)?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff in Wikipedia isn’t worth the paper it’s not printed on.

According to the OEM license with MS, they MUST provide you with the means to reinstall the OS, to the same way it first appeared to you.

If their recovery disk burn worked OK, then it will have produced a number of disks (from 1 to as much as 6!) – and these should be capable of restoring the system to the exact same state it was in on the day you first started it.

This process WILL delete all data on the system drive – so make sure that you back up all data to an external drive first.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:02 PM
  • You can try the Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program to obtain a replacement disc.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Thanks, Noel and Carey, for your replies.

I have consulted the Acer link and my computer manual, and I think I'm sure the DVD that I've created is the one I need to restore the whole computer to factory defaults (which confirms what Acer had told me).
    Luckily I don't need to restore anything now, I just wanted to know and be prepared in case this emergency ever presents itself - hopefully never.

Just on my other issue (Validation): can you please advice on my first question in post #3? Basically, having successfully validated my XP, I still get the Automatic Updates popup for "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" (it's an old notification). Do I still need to install this, or can I just ignore it for good?

Thanks once more for your help.
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:21 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:15aff9f8-62b4-4126-946d-e9fc09e9bec3...
    Thanks, Noel and Carey, for your replies.

I have consulted the Acer link and my computer manual, and I think I'm sure the DVD that I've created is the one I need to restore the whole computer to factory defaults (which confirms what Acer had told me).
    Luckily I don't need to restore anything now, I just wanted to know and be prepared in case this emergency ever presents itself - hopefully never.

Just on my other issue (Validation): can you please advice on my first question in post #3? Basically, having successfully validated my XP, I still get the Automatic Updates popup for "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" (it's an old notification). Do I still need to install this, or can I just ignore it for good?

Thanks once more for your help.

Post an MGADiag report from XP – it’ll tell us if there’s a problem.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Noel

If you refer to the first posts of this thread, you'll see that I have done the validation (successfully) following Carey's link. Please see the new report below.

The WGA notification from Automatic Updates (I mean the yellow shield at bottom right corner on my screen) was already popping up from long time but I never bothered with it (unlike with other updates which I always installed). So I guess now it's just still there as an old notification. Anyhow, I'll leave it up to you to tell me what to do with it.

The CoA sticker says:
    Windows XP Professional
    Acer Incorporated

Validation Status: Genuine
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{B7AE6AF0-EB7E-46B2-84B6-C7F9954740A6}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-C7RYM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00100</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1808491901-1178147021-2521828933</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Acer           </Manufacturer><Model>Extensa 5210                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>V1.03          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070427000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>AcerSystem ,AcerSystem </SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>0F4F3E07018400DA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Acer Inc.</name><model>AcerSystem</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 16FC0:Acer Incorporated|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd|8D74:HITACHI, Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: AcerSystem ,AcerSystem

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:46 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:55c34252-9310-4226-a62b-a369946eb018...

Noel

If you refer to the first posts of this thread, you'll see that I have done the validation (successfully) following Carey's link. Please see the new report below.

The WGA notification from Automatic Updates (I mean the yellow shield at bottom right corner on my screen) was already popping up from long time but I never bothered with it (unlike with other updates which I always installed). So I guess now it's just still there as an old notification. Anyhow, I'll leave it up to you to tell me what to do with it.

The CoA sticker says:
    Windows XP Professional
    Acer Incorporated

Validation Status: Genuine
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0

I’m uncertain as to what the problem here is – are you saying that you are repeatedly being offered the WGA Notification update, despite having installed it previously?
    If so, then that is really an issue for the Windows Updates forum, rather than this one.
    If you’ve not installed it, then you should do so.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:55 PM
  • OK, I'll explain better.

Whenever I had notifications of updates popping up, I have always installed them, with the only exception of WGA because I never thought, rightly or wrongly, that it was necessary as I deemed my XP to be genuine and did not appreciate the meaning of validation. 

A few weeks ago I went more in depth into this; I was told about MGAdiag and this forum so I came here. My MGAdiag report then was basically saying that I hadn't validated my XP yet, and Carey Frisch (1st reply to me in this thread) posted a link to validate Windows on line.

I followed his link, followed the instructions downloading a few ActiveX, and at the end of the online validation process a Microsoft webpage appeared saying something like "Welcome to Windows, your windows is genuine" (can't remember exactly).

As a further confirmation, I re-run MGAdiag and, as you can see, it confirms that the validation is done and my XP is genuine.

Now back to the WGA Notification popup. I think this still appears because I haven't installed WGA directly from Windows Update but I have done the validation online. I suspect this notification would reinstall the ActiveX again, but I fear they might be an older version and I don't want to risk to mess up my system.

So I could just ignore it for good again, unless you definitely think I should install it anyway. Interestingly, when I now go to the Windows Updates website, it offers me non-critical updates which I couldn't see before (having not done the validation yet). Among these, I can see the WGA update as well, which is reported as from 2009. (That's why I think it's an old one, maybe older than the one I've installed during the online validation a few days ago.

I hope I have explained this clearly. Basically my question is: is it safe to install this old WGA update now that validation is already done correctly, or is it safer to just leave it aside for good, since I can already receive now the benefits of validation (i.e. non-critical updates)?

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:56 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:bb354d8f-4d9d-421b-9b27-c27fdc26f7ff...

OK, I'll explain better.

I followed his link, followed the instructions downloading a few ActiveX, and at the end of the online validation process a Microsoft webpage appeared saying something like "Welcome to Windows, your windows is genuine" (can't remember exactly).

I hope I have explained this clearly. Basically my question is: is it safe to install this old WGA update now that validation is already done correctly, or is it safer to just leave it aside for good, since I can already receive now the benefits of validation (i.e. non-critical updates)?

There are a number of parts of WGA – one of which it the WGA Notifications update which you are currently asking about.
    This update enables some automated features of WGA which are otherwise not present – such as periodic checks of the system. The Notification would then pop up a non-genuine notice if the basic requirements of WGA are failed at any point (for any reason – such as file or registry corruption).
    There is no good reason not to install it on a genuine system – and some good reasons for doing so (it can help identify problems before they become too much for simple repair methods to deal with).
    If – as you suspect – the update is no longer applicable, it will refuse to install now, and you should not see it again. However, as far as I am aware that is still the current version.

The KB article is here..

The Download page actually gives an easier-to-understand roundup of its effects on the system...

As far as ‘is it safe?’ is concerned –
    Yes, it’s safe under any circumstances except when the system is not genuine <g>

Will it make any difference to your computer? Probably not, if you are a reasonably conscientious user.

Will it interfere with anything? Almost certainly not – unless the system fails validation

Will it improve anything? doubtful.

• Marked as answer by terminator123 Monday, November 28, 2011 10:36 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 PM
  • You are right, the articles explain it very easily.

I have downloaded and installed the WGA Notification update. Everything went smooth.

I think the thread can be closed out now.

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. You were very helpful.

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:35 PM
  • "terminator123" wrote in message news:dfb86bee-0b5e-4759-b8ec-c89825ca911b...

You are right, the articles explain it very easily.

I have downloaded and installed the WGA Notification update. Everything went smooth.

I think the thread can be closed out now.

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. You were very helpful.

You’re welcome – sorry it took so long before we understood each other!

Good Luck

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:42 PM