Unable to retrieve Entity Meta Data CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  

upgrading my MS CRM solution from 3.0 to 4.0 and I am unable to use the Entity Meta Data to get - entity meta data :-)

I always get an unauthorised exception even though I have authenticated - it works fine for other entities and operations such as get entity etc... etc... but to get entity meta data.... no go Sad

any ideas? Any examples?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:51 PM

Answers

• And here's the crux of the problem.

In CRM 4.0, reading entity metadata requires three privileges to be assigned to the calling user:

1. Entity Read

2. Attribute Read

3. Relationship Read

These privileges are present under : Security Roles-> Customization.

System Customizer and Administrator Roles have these privileges enabled Out of Box, but for other roles, they need to be explicitly assigned.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:46 PM
  • In CRM 4.0 users do not, by default, have permission to access the metadata. In CRM 3.0 the platform did not bother checking if the user had permission to access the metadata, but in CRM 4.0 it does.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:02 AM

All replies

•  

for some bizarre reason it seems to be ok now... hmm.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:04 PM
  • In CRM 4.0 users do not, by default, have permission to access the metadata. In CRM 3.0 the platform did not bother checking if the user had permission to access the metadata, but in CRM 4.0 it does.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:02 AM
  • yes i am aware of that.....same thing when querying CRM for data....

But the problem was, I was already passing it the correct authentication token... but it was throwing an exception (UnAuthorised) for some reason... but now, it magically works.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:10 AM

In CRM 4.0, reading entity metadata requires three privileges to be assigned to the calling user:

1. Entity Read

2. Attribute Read

3. Relationship Read

System Customizer and Administrator Roles have these privileges enabled Out of Box, but for other roles, they need to be explicitly assigned.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Is there a way to Authenticate as an admin in code to have access to the metadata, without actually going into CRM and assigning those 3 privileges. In the situation I am in, I need those 3 to not be assigned, but still need to access the Metadata. Is this possible?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:37 PM

1. Entity Read

2. Attribute Read

3. Relationship Read

Hope this helps!

Worked perfectly for me.

[ ] 's
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:44 PM