CWA R2 DNS cnames driving me crazy RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please put up a screenshot of the results of creating the 2 cname records to allow desktop sharing for cwa.  What exactly should the ALIAS field have, the Fully qualified domain name field have, I know what the FQDN of target host should be.

When I type "as" in the alias name, it populates the fully qualified domain to as.domain.org.  Am i suppose to put "as.imserver" in the alias field, and have it populate the Fully qualified domain name to as.imserver.domain.org????? 
    This is so damn confusing, but should be easy.
    please help
    I'm missing the desktop sharing ability when doing internal CWA R2, on my R2 CWA server i created and 2 virtual server the internal one doesn't have any cert on it, but the external one does, right im just trying to get internal desktop sharing.  Please help

Friday, August 7, 2009 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi

Sure, OCS2007R2 enables users to invite other people, including anonymous users, to participate in instant messaging conferences, audio conferences, and desktop sharing sessions. To enable users to schedule and to join these conferences, CWA hosts a pair of web pages. Before you can use these pages for scheduling and joining conferences, the URLS must be published to Active Directory. You can do this either when you create a virtual server or later by using the CWA snap-in.

You can learn more information refer to below link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425183(office.13).aspx

Hope this helpful!

Regards!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• So you should have 2 alias's

as.im.contoso.com

download.im.contoso.com

It will look a little funny but the alias is as.im.domain.com and the FQDN should be the Name of the CWA server. Same for download.im.contoso.com it is the Alias, and the FQDN should be the CWA server. It will look a little odd kind of like a delegate zone will be created.

Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:31 PM
  • The CWA deployment document lists the proper DNS configuration: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441191(office.13).aspx

• A host name (A) record for the desired URL: im.contoso.com
  • An alias (CNAME) record: download.im.contoso.com
  • An alias (CNAME) record: as.im.contoso.com

• Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:52 AM
  • OK. should desktop sharing work internally on the internal non secure cwa r2 virtual server? So the cnames will appear as subdomains under the domain in MS Dns? I know this should be easy buy driving me crazy. I went through that same document like 20 times on friday, but still can't get desktop sharing to work. Can you screenshots get copied into this forum, if so, can someone post the end result of the cname in MS DNS. Thanks for all your help.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Desktop Sharing uses RDP over Media communications, so your problems might not be DNS related.  As long as you've created the main A record and it's two related CNAME records you should be set.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:05 PM
  • If you are still having challenges I would recommend you pull a sip trace and a wireshark or netmon trace to see if the request is even going to the correct place.

Let me see what I can do about the DNS names screen shot.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:55 PM
  • kool.

Also, does the my 2 virtual sites need to be published to Active Directory for desktop sharing to work, i havene't done that yet.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Hi

Sure, OCS2007R2 enables users to invite other people, including anonymous users, to participate in instant messaging conferences, audio conferences, and desktop sharing sessions. To enable users to schedule and to join these conferences, CWA hosts a pair of web pages. Before you can use these pages for scheduling and joining conferences, the URLS must be published to Active Directory. You can do this either when you create a virtual server or later by using the CWA snap-in.

You can learn more information refer to below link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425183(office.13).aspx

Hope this helpful!

Regards!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:45 AM