Autoroute 2011 recalculates routes at startup RRS feed

• Question

• I have found that Autoroute 2011 recalculates the route each time at start-up, which takes quite a while.  For example, a route with only two stops in addition to the start and finish takes 45 seconds on a 3 GHz dual core PC.  Is there a way to save a route so that it does not need to be recalculated each time Autoroute starts?
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim, try to hit the Esc-key to stop the recalculation.
    Laptop GPS World
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Marvin, but the problem is, that removes the previous route.  I want the route, but see no need to recalculate it each time. 

Is this a bug or a feature?  It is different than Delorme Topo for example.

• Edited by Jim1648 Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:26 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Is this a bug or a feature?

Perhaps it isn't a "bug" nor a "feature". It may just simply be how the product was written.

I'm not aware of a work-around.

Laptop GPS World
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:01 PM
  • OK, you would think that they would simply save the calculated route to disk, but I don't see any route files the way that DeLorme has, so I guess not.  I wonder about software people sometimes.  Thanks for your input.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Jim, what is happening to you sounds extremely odd.  I have had many long, complex routes and I cannot remember any of them taking 45 seconds to recalculate.   A four-stop route should never take so long unless perhaps those points are over a huge distance.  I assume no other application is running.  Something is wrong somewhere. 

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:10 PM
  • That is what I was wondering too.  I am somewhat new to Autoroute, having only used Autoroute 2007 to a limited extent but without plotting routes, and it seemed strange to me.  It is faster on some routes than others of course.  But to give you a fairly typical example in Italy, the route from Milan Airport (Malpensa) to Ravenna with stops in Cremona and Parma takes 45 seconds just to open up and re-plot the route.  It might be due to all the local roads in Italy that it has to compute, but the route it finds is mainly along the Autostrada, and so should not be that difficult.  I do run BOINC/World Community Grid in the background, but I can shut that off and it only changes the time a few seconds.  Maybe I will try it on my laptop to see how it compares.  I will try shutting off anti-virus (just Microsoft Security Essentials) and other things for what it is worth, but it should be working better.  I run Win7 64-bit, which should not be a problem.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:55 PM
  • I tried your Malpensa-Ravenna route and it took 2 seconds to compute the route.  You've got a local problem but I am sorry to say that I have no idea what it might be.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:08 AM
  • OK, that is what I was looking for, since I don't know what is typical with this program.  I have tried disabling everything with no luck thus far, but it can't hide for long.  I will find it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:22 AM
  • And no solutions yet, but some additional insight.  It is not a problem with other programs running or even drivers (I ran it in safe mode with the same results), but something about the particular routes I have chosen.  For example, a route along major highways from Trieste Italy to Bad Ischl, Austria with no stops at all takes 34 seconds to open and calculate.  But a much more complex route from Bad Ischl to Malpensa Airport in Milan, with stops in Trento (two locations), Villa Lagarina and Verona Italy opens immediately (under 2 seconds) as Philip K1 states.  So there is some magic to choosing the start and stop points that I have not found yet.  Or maybe I have some option enabled for some routes but not others, but I have not found the difference yet.  I think it is just a matter of time now though.
    • Edited by Jim1648 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Jim, how long does your AR take to start with just a new map (no route)?

Laptop GPS World

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:28 AM
  • It is 4 seconds on my desktop PC.  I loaded Autoroute 2011 on my laptop also (ThinkPad X60), and it opens there in 7 seconds, which seems right with the speed (1.67 GHz) of that Core 2 CPU.  So it seems to open OK. 

I recall when I set it up that I played around with templates a little in the hope that I could get them to save the routes, with no luck of course.  And I deleted all the templates I created.  But I am wondering if that is somehow connected to the problem; maybe it is starting up on some of the maps with something other than the default template.  I will play around with it later after I get more coffee.  It is at least a 2-cupper.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Just to elaborate my my trials, I used several different starting points for the route.  With a big place like Malpensa, there are many choices.  I selected a couple of different parking lots and I even plopped a pushpin down in the middle of a runway (AR had the most trouble with that - maybe an additional second) and got speedy calculations with them all.  Perhaps you could play around with the location of the route start to see if you can produce a quicker calculation.  I used all default route options; no fancy stuff.  Also, the file has no pushpins, etc.

Also, can you see at what stage of the calculation AR stalls?  For instance, is it before it starts to show a blue route line on the map or part of the way along?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:06 PM
  • P. S. I added both Trieste and Bad Ischl to my trial route and that added no more than another second to the caclulation duration.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:11 PM
  • The map itself opens up OK, but the "quickest route" calculation takes a long time.  I see the route being slowly calculated as it progresses, and finally the blue-line route pops onto the map.  Also, Windows Task Manager shows the CPU usage at 100 percent all during the calculation time, so it is busy doing something.

To ensure that I was starting with the correct default template, I created a new route direct from Malpensa Airport to Ravenna (town center) and it calculated the route quite fast, as it should.  But then I added Cremona (town center as found by route planner), and the time slowed down to 35 seconds, as before.  Finally, I removed Cremona from the route, and it worked fast again.  So something about how I am adding stops along the route is wrong.  Somehow it worked correctly on the route I planned from Bad Ischl back to Malpensa with the various stops in Italy.  I am going to have to figure out how I did that one differently.

I tried the same thing on my laptop, which I have just set up, with all the default settings, but got the same result with the Malpensa to Ravenna route with Cremona added and removed.  So it is not something wrong with my desktop PC setup, but with my procedures for planning the routes.  At least it is consistent, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks to Marvin and Philip K1 for your help getting to this point.

EDIT: I am beginning to think that it is not me, but the operating system.  I created a new route (with no stops) direct from Malpensa Airport to Cremona.  It took 37 seconds to open on my desktop PC, and 65 seconds on my laptop.  So it has a hard time calculating some side roads, but the direct routes (and even some of the other complicated routes) go OK.  I wonder if this is a problem with Windows 7 64-bit accessing the database, or whatever it has to do?  It may work better on the 32-bit operating systems, but I don't have any installed on my PCs at the moment.

EDIT 2: I can create a route from Milan (city center) to Florence and it is fast.  If I add either Cremona or Parma, it is slow.  But if I add Sienna instead, then it is fast.  So it likes some locations in Italy and not others.  I am not a software guy, but I think Microsoft has a problem accessing their database with my OS (Win7 64-bit).

• Edited by Jim1648 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Jim, try the following (since nothing else comes to my mind right now). Right-click AR shortcut (either the one on your desktop or the one on your Start menu). Open the "Compatibility" tab, place a check mark in front of "Run as administrator", and click "Apply".

Let us know if that improves anything.

Laptop GPS World
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Marvin,

A very good idea, but it didn't help.  I created a route from Milan (city center, not the airport) to Ravenna via Cremona at it took 20 seconds to open.  I then removed Cremona and added Florence instead, and it took only 6 seconds, so it is still very location dependent. 

I think I will try re-installing Autoroute in WinXP (SP3) mode.  Then, if that doesn't work, I can try Autoroute 2007, which will be good enough for my use at the moment. 

(I tried to find Microsoft support for Autoroute 2011, but they cleverly omitted it for U.S. users.)

EDIT: It won't install in WinXP (SP3) compatibility mode, due to a required speech component.  So I uninstalled Autoroute 2011 and installed Autoroute 2007.  It is a little faster.  Malpensa Airport to Ravenna direct is 7 seconds, but adding a stop in Cremona increases it to 20 seconds. However, adding another stop in Parma increases it to only 21 seconds, which is a lot better than the 45 seconds that Autoroute 2011 takes.  So I will live with that until Microsoft can get their stuff to work.  There is always Linux and Google Maps I suppose.

• Edited by Jim1648 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:58 PM
  • I have been conducting my trials of your route on a Win 7 64 Ultimate o/s, so I do not think it is the version of the o/s that is causing your problems, Jim.

It seems that the Cremona stop is causing problems.  I suggest you zoom in to that location and move it to someplace else in the vicinity, perhaps on a major road, and try it again.

• Edited by Philip K1 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:42 PM
  • It might be useful to carry on this thread at http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/ because there we can up-load and down-load specific route files and reciprocally try them out.  If you are interested in Streets and Trips and AutoRoute, you really should be a member of that highly useful forum with many excellent members and a superb moderator.  And it is free! 
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Yes, Cremona is the hangup, when set as the endpoint.  Just setting the endpoint to the nearby town of Piacenza reduces the time from 35 seconds to 12 seconds (from Malpensa Airport).  And it is not so bad when Cremona is the start.  From Cremona to Ravenna with a stop in Parma takes only 8 seconds.

That may still represent a problem with accessing the maps, but it is a lot better.  I can work around it now with your helpful input.

• Edited by Jim1648 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:44 PM